Songs that could not be made today

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
CMT began airing the video for Try That In A Small Town on July 14, the day it was released. On July 17, CMT quit playing the video. No reason was given. Sheryl Crow said Aldean – who was performing at a Las Vegas country music festival on October 1, 2017, when Stephen Paddock began shooting, killing 60 and wounding more than 400 – "should know better" than to record such a song: "I'm from a small town. Even people in small towns are sick of violence. There's nothing small-town or American about promoting violence.." She called the song "lame." Aldean is defending himself against the critics.

Can you guess what today's number-one song on iTunes is? Come on, this is easy.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Here's a twist; a song made today that they're saying should not be made today. I can't point to any overtly racist lines, but I guess there are several dog-whistles in there. Ironically, this guy survived the Mandalay Bay Vegas mass shooting, then he writes this.

Try That In A Small Town
Song by Jason Aldean

Sucker punch somebody on a sidewalk
Carjack an old lady at a red light
Pull a gun on the owner of a liquor store
Ya think it's cool, well, act a fool if ya like
Cuss out a cop, spit in his face
Stomp on the flag and light it up
Yeah, ya think you're tough
Well, try that in a small town
See how far ya make it down the road
Around here, we take care of our own
You cross that line, it won't take long
For you to find out, I recommend you don't
Try that in a small town
Got a gun that my granddad gave me
They say one day they're gonna round up
Well, that shit might fly in the city, good luck
Try that in a small town
Try that in a small town
Full of good ol' boys, raised up right
If you're looking for a fight
Try that in a small town
Try that in a small town
Try that in a small town
Try that in a small town
Try that in a small town
Ooh-ooh
Try that in a small town
Even as a country fan, I haven't heard one note of this guy. But I looked up his history. He was the one on stage in Vegas at that country festival when the shooting started (makes the lyrics even more ironic), and was born in Macon, GA (not a small town) and now lives in Nashville (DEFINITELY not a small town). I think the word we're looking for is Poser! And he didn't even write the song! 4 people in some songwriting house in Nashville did.

Last edited:
Reactions: sadchild

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Even as a country fan, I haven't heard one note of this guy. But I looked up his history. He was the one on stage in Vegas at that country festival when the shooting started (makes the lyrics even more ironic), and was born in Macon, GA (not a small town) and now lives in Nashville (DEFINITELY not a small town). I think the word we're looking for is Poser! And he didn't even write the song! 4 people in some songwriting house in Nashville did.
I wonder what he thinks of Bud Light.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
CMT began airing the video for Try That In A Small Town on July 14, the day it was released. On July 17, CMT quit playing the video. No reason was given. Sheryl Crow said Aldean – who was performing at a Las Vegas country music festival on October 1, 2017, when Stephen Paddock began shooting, killing 60 and wounding more than 400 – "should know better" than to record such a song: "I'm from a small town. Even people in small towns are sick of violence. There's nothing small-town or American about promoting violence.." She called the song "lame." Aldean is defending himself against the critics.

Can you guess what today's number-one song on iTunes is? Come on, this is easy.
I have only one question. CMT plays music videos? I thought they did nothing but reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond and Frasier.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
IRBS, CMT airs reruns of Reba, Roseanne, Mom, Young Sheldon, Mike & Molly, Last Man Standing, The Golden Girls and The King Of Queens – and country music videos from midnight to 6 AM when almost everyone is asleep.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
We now know why CMT pulled Jason Aldean's video. I guess I no longer have any hope that CMT will air the music video I made at the Hansen Dam Recreation Center, where police beat Rodney King in 1992.

• Sad
Reactions: HecticArt

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Sigue Sigue Sputnik "Teenage Thunder" came on in my car today

She's got more than most could ever be
More gore for her more lust for me
More hot for her much more for me
My adolescent fantasy
Teenage thunder
Do it for her
Do that for me
Get down get on it
Just give it me
My adolescent fantasy
Teenage thunder

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Songwriter and banjoist George Lansing composed several instrumentals between 1890 and 1909. Among them are Darkies Patrol, The Darkies' Dream and The Darkies' Awakening. Sylvester "Vess" Ossman, a ragtime musician known as "The King of the Banjo," recorded The Darkies Awakening for the Edison label in September 1904. (In 1900, Ossman had recorded an instrumental titled The Coon Band Contest, written by bandleader and trombonist Arthur Pryor.) Banjoist Fred Van Eps recorded The Darkies Awakening and The Darkies' Dream for Edison in July 1905. Here are Van Eps' recordings. The songs aren't bad – but the titles! Ai-yi-yi!

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Cole Porter's Find Me A Primitive Man was sung by Evelyn Hoey in the 1929-30 Broadway musical Fifty Million Frenchmen, which was billed as "a musical comedy tour of Paris." Libby Holman & the Colonial Club Orchestra had a #19 hit with the song in December 1929. It has been recorded by at least 19 other artists including Lee Wiley, Gwen Verdon, Gretchen Wyler, Madeline Kahn, Angela Richards, Cybill Shepherd and Colleen McHugh.

"Find me a primitive man
Built on a primitive plan
Someone with vigor and vim
I don't mean a kind that belongs to a club
But the kind that has a club that belongs to him
I could be the personal slave
Of someone just out of a cave
The only man who'll ever win me
Has gotta wake up the gypsy in me
Find me a primitive man"

Alley Oop and Fred Flintstone, are you listening?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008