The Random Post Thread

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
How long can you hold your breath?

I just tried and I made it 70 seconds. Now let's not forget that I pretty much vape all day long so that not so bad as far as I'm concerned.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
90 seconds. :lostit:

Still recovering from surgery (they collapsed my lungs). Doctors remark about my huge lungs. I used to swim underwater across and back in our 40' pool. I keep in shape by playing clarinet. :rolleyes:
Did you lose your lung capacity when they collapsed it or did they return to their original size?

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Did you lose your lung capacity when they collapsed it or did they return to their original size?
For a time after surgery, there was fluid in my lungs that took a while to get out. I think the capacity is reduced, but returning to normal over time. However, it's important that I do breathing exercises, like using a spirometer, or playing clarinet, or vigorous walking etc. That's probably helping to get my lungs fully re-inflated.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Random... It doesn't seem like many kids ride the bus to school anymore, including mine.. And this was happening even before Covid. There's a line every day at school with at least a hundred vehicles waiting to pick up their youngsters. And when the buses pass by, it looks like there's 4 kids in it.

When I was in school, everyone took the bus. And if you didn't, you got made fun of - Mama's boy.

Another related observation. The traffic cop seems to do a fine job directing traffic everyday. But I notice on the days he's absent, the traffic does just fine... even though most drivers are absolute dumb bulbs, they got it figured out, know when to the let the buses go through, know when to yield. It's remarkable.

Also I had to just now look up the spelling of bus in the plural form. Buses looks weird. Buses not busses.

Anyway, random things I observe now that I get to do the school thing since working from home.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
To add to that. When I moved to Lynnfield in 1983, my house was less than a mile from the school .... as the crow flies. There was, however, a pond between me and the school. The school said, "You live within a mile of the school, you have to walk" -- that was probably a mile and a half. So all winter long, I was expected to walk around the pond to the nearest road that would lead to the school. My mother went to the school and pounded on the desk until they allowed me to ride on the bus. But it was on the condition I walk to the nearest existing bus stop -- a new one would not be created (despite the fact that the bus literally drove right past my driveway on the way to the school). So I used to walk about 10 minutes (or run 5 minutes) to the nearest bus stop each day. There were about a half dozen kids at that stop, and some walked from almost as far away as I did.

Fast forward to 2019 when my son switched from private school to public school. I looked at the bus routes and oh my lord no wonder taxes are so high. There is a bus stop ON THE ROAD THE SCHOOL IS ON. I'm talking about 4 houses down. My son's friend lives about a 10 minute walk from the school, and usually chooses to walk. There are TWO bus stops on his road, one a few houses down the street (away from the school) and another one a few houses down (toward the school). I couldn't believe it!!

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Yep kids got it easy nowadays with regards.

Nobody cared so much about our safety. We didn't wear ID badges. If we felt like walking onto the wrong bus to ride to a friend's house, nobody said anything lol.

Reactions: sadchild

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Lynnfield... nice!

Anyway, we lived within a mile of my kids' school. On the days I dropped them off, I would drive along the covered walk in front of the school. The idea was to stop and unload all the cars at the same time, maybe 5 to 10 cars. But some parents waited until they were directly in front of the entrance door, so their precious kid wouldn't have to walk a few feet. It would screw up the whole system.

Story #2: at grade school orientation with our younger kid, many parents were not comfortable putting their kid on the bus. Some would drive alongside the buses.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I remember walking home about 5-6 blocks from kindergarten when I was 5. I was allowed to walk alone. No big deal. I think I also could take the bus downtown as well. Nobody gave it a second thought those days.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
To add to that. When I moved to Lynnfield in 1983, my house was less than a mile from the school .... as the crow flies. There was, however, a pond between me and the school. The school said, "You live within a mile of the school, you have to walk" -- that was probably a mile and a half. So all winter long, I was expected to walk around the pond to the nearest road that would lead to the school. My mother went to the school and pounded on the desk until they allowed me to ride on the bus. But it was on the condition I walk to the nearest existing bus stop -- a new one would not be created (despite the fact that the bus literally drove right past my driveway on the way to the school). So I used to walk about 10 minutes (or run 5 minutes) to the nearest bus stop each day. There were about a half dozen kids at that stop, and some walked from almost as far away as I did.

Fast forward to 2019 when my son switched from private school to public school. I looked at the bus routes and oh my lord no wonder taxes are so high. There is a bus stop ON THE ROAD THE SCHOOL IS ON. I'm talking about 4 houses down. My son's friend lives about a 10 minute walk from the school, and usually chooses to walk. There are TWO bus stops on his road, one a few houses down the street (away from the school) and another one a few houses down (toward the school). I couldn't believe it!!