Which console will be around longer?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
It is being integrated into the PS3 which I find interesting.

ps-move-2.jpg

i think the 360 will have more life in it. ps3 may have blu ray but besides that, its more or less the same as 360. not i know its more powerful, but for the mostpart that power is not really noticeable in the games.

plus, ps3 is simply copying wii with their motion plus controller. 360 is coming out with something totally new with natal. i think natal has the potential to put microsoft back on top as best selling console. people are somewhat used to the cool motion control we get with the wii and soon to be ps3. natal may change the game like wii did a few years back.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Actually after thinking about this a bit more I think they'll ALL be around. NONE of the 3 platforms are going anywhere anytime soon. I still do believe, however, that the xbox will provide more popular games.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Actually after thinking about this a bit more I think they'll ALL be around. NONE of the 3 platforms are going anywhere anytime soon. I still do believe, however, that the xbox will provide more popular games.

that makes sense, but do you think one company will put out their new console a year before the others? like the 360 did before the ps3 and wii?

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
that makes sense, but do you think one company will put out their new console a year before the others? like the 360 did before the ps3 and wii?

No idea but it's interesting stuff and all good news, (competition between the 3 consoles), for us gamers/consumers!

Chance00

Oct 15, 2008
Chicago
I see both consoles being around another 3-4 years. Xbox will continue revamping the "insides" of their console (rumored to be coming out with an xbox slim version) where they're adding new chipsets, making one that doesn't constantly die, etc.

Don't be surprised to see a new version of the xbox (i.e. xbox slim) bundled with natal upon its release.

I think the next gen consoles will again be coming out around the same time as each other and I for one don't believe 3D gaming will ever catch on. Even if it does it won't be in this generations life cycle. People have only really embraced HD in the last few years. Having to upgrade again to a 3D capable television is a ways off.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
Every TV is capable of displaying a 3D picture (I believe). I say this because I can remember watching 3D every once in a great while in the 80s (at home). I can see 3D gaming getting into the mainstream before 3D Television.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I see both consoles being around another 3-4 years. Xbox will continue revamping the "insides" of their console (rumored to be coming out with an xbox slim version) where they're adding new chipsets, making one that doesn't constantly die, etc.

Don't be surprised to see a new version of the xbox (i.e. xbox slim) bundled with natal upon its release.

I think the next gen consoles will again be coming out around the same time as each other and I for one don't believe 3D gaming will ever catch on. Even if it does it won't be in this generations life cycle. People have only really embraced HD in the last few years. Having to upgrade again to a 3D capable television is a ways off.

you say 3-4 years for the ps3 and xbox. so you think nintendo will come out with a new one sooner?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
you say 3-4 years for the ps3 and xbox. so you think nintendo will come out with a new one sooner?

Nintendo says "no". Back in January they said they were happy with the Wii and in no hurry to replace it. Could be a lie, but I believe them. They have almost 50% of the market now, so why rush into new hardware? They can take their time and see what happens with the smaller players.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I don't see hardware makers rushing out to replace their systems. PC hardware and software isn't really innovating right now like mobile or other tech areas are. It will take something else groundbreaking (like motion control with the Wii, but bigger) to spur on a new generation of boxes.

Chance00

Oct 15, 2008
Chicago
Every TV is capable of displaying a 3D picture (I believe). I say this because I can remember watching 3D every once in a great while in the 80s (at home). I can see 3D gaming getting into the mainstream before 3D Television.

Yes and no. Every TV can display 3D as we knew it prior to the recent 3D craze (Avatar, Clash of the Titans, etc.).

The newer 3D technology (what's being pushed by the television manufacturers now) is much higher in resolution and image quality and most current gen tv's aren't capable of producing that high quality 3D image.

Here's a really good article that explains the new 3D TV stuff...

3D TV FAQ | Crave - CNET

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I own a PS3 and a Wii, if I had to say Wii will probably last longer. Xbox and Sony will probably want to work on the next generation of game consoles.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I own a PS3 and a Wii, if I had to say Wii will probably last longer. Xbox and Sony will probably want to work on the next generation of game consoles.

All I know is that my Wii doesn't get the red rings of death. It's been operational and trouble free for alittle over a year now.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
All I know is that my Wii doesn't get the red rings of death. It's been operational and trouble free for alittle over a year now.

Mine failed a couple of months after I bought it. When it got hot, the video was distorted. I just sent it to Nintendo and they replaced it with a new one (with a new mobo design, apparently).

My Xbox 360 has never had a problem.

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
My 5 year old loves the Wii, and I will play games with him on it. No PS3 or Xbox for us in the near future. The kid across the street has all three and the one that he seems the play the most (kids in his garage) is the Wii. Then again he is 12. I think that the others are for older kids.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH

All I know is I can't play L4D2 on the Wii or the PS3. :headbang:

I use my PS3 for Blu Ray and as a media center. I hooked up a small 500GB hardrive on it and it became an instant media center. :egypt: