WTD 2009 Week 12 - Watercolors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
It soothes and it grooves with cool contemporary jazz and hip vocals. It’s art for your ears! Watercolors is a constant companion and consistently sets a feel good mood throughout the day.

What we play: Dave Koz, Chris Botti, George Benson, Brian Culbertson, Boney James, Al Jarreau, Paul Hardcastle, Earl Klugh, Richard Elliot, Sade.

The Gallery
Friday 1 pm ET, Saturday 9 am ET, Sunday 8 pm ET
The Gallery is an audio exhibit of our favorite new contemporary jazz songs on Watercolors. Each week, the exhibits are subject to change-or not change-as determined by the Watercolors staff. Music and art lovers converge for this tasteful and timely aural presentation.

Channel 71 on Sirius, 71 on XM.

* Please indicate how much you like this channel by assigning it a rating. Simply use the thread rating system found at the top of the thread and give it a vote. :)

channel-71.gif

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I listened to this channel last week for almost a whole day because my student likes Jazz. I must say, this is NOT the same channel I used to listen to when I first got XM. The names might be the same, but I thing too much of Coffee House got into this channel post-merger...:worried:

I don't ever remember hearing this many songs with vocals on them being played on this channel. Smooth Jazz is about the instruments. Maybe a vocal song once an hour, but not half the songs...:shock:

I'll listen to this channel again this week. I still love to listen to smooth jazz every so often. I just hope I listened on an off day last week...:)
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I really like the mix with vocal and instrumental. I used to be a big Jazz Cafe fan and was rooting for the Jazz Cafe during the music merger. Not that I didn't like Watercolors on XM. And I'm certainly pleased with this version of Watercolors. A somewhat compromise of both channels. A quality easy listening package for me would consist of Watercolors, Real Jazz, Spa and the Coffeehouse. And I just discovered the Chill and want to hear more of what its like.

:siriusdog:

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
semipenguin said:
I don't ever remember hearing this many songs with vocals on them being played on this channel. Smooth Jazz is about the insterments. Maybe a vocal song once an hour, but not half the songs...

I haven't really noticed the channel having too many vocals. I would say it's more instrumental than anything (at least that's the way I hear it).

I have a cold right now, and I find this channel (and Spa) very relaxing to listen to when you're not feeling good. It also helps to put me to sleep. :)

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I find it nice to listen to while driving, but little else. I like non-vocal Smooth Jazz anyways. :singer:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Just a little while ago I heard Simply Red-Holding Back the Years. A great song, no doubt, but not something that should be played on Watercolors, nor is it a song that I can't remember hearing on Watercolors pre-merger...:worried:

I remember posting on SBS that a song like Do it Again by Steely Dan did not belong on Coffee House. I hope I don't hear it on Watercolors...:(

4 out of 5 Stars (when I get the chance to get on my computer & vote)
Posted via Mobile Device

squigy0

Oct 14, 2008
Baltimore, MD
squigy0.ch00ns.com
Sounds: Smooth jazz. Weather channel instrumentals

Positives: A dying format on terrestrial radio still alive and well on sat radio...for now :). Very good presentation with the DJ voices and station IDs matching the channel format perfectly

Negatives: There was an unbalanced amount of instrumental songs. I heard a total of one vocal track in the hour of listening I did

Blastability: Low. Not really my type of music

Overall: I miss Beyond Jazz

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Weather channel instrumentals

Great comparison. :p

There was an unbalanced amount of instrumental songs. I heard a total of one vocal track in the hour of listening I did

I actually view that as a positive. When I'm listening to Smooth Jazz, I don't really want to hear vocals. Just relaxing instrumentals. :thumbsup:

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I have been listening this morning. It makes my teeth hurt and feel a little nervous, since it reminds me of going to the dentist's office. I have to give it 2 stars.

I kinda had that dentist's office feeling too!

Proving that it makes a difference on when and where you are as you Walk the Dog to these channels, I absolutely hated this music as I was listening in my car. Totally got on my nerves. Then I gave it some time as background music around the house while doing other things... much better!

As for vocals/not vocals... it doesn't matter to me very much. If the vocals suit the song, then I don't mind them playing it here.

I won't give Watercolors a preset, but not a bad channel at all.

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I absolutely hated this music as I was listening in my car. Totally got on my nerves. Then I gave it some time as background music around the house while doing other things... much better!

Yeah, it's not the kind of channel to listen to in the car.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I enjoy this channel, relaxing music to fall a sleep too. I give it 3 stars.

lrosenman

Nov 9, 2008
I've actually been streaming this one as background in my office. Works very well for that purpose.

GreenHornet99

Oct 17, 2008
Reminds me of the Music PlayboyTV plays in the background the playmate profiles. I like this channel. I have it as #10 in my top 10 music presets.

Status
Not open for further replies.