Cord Cutters

MonoStereo

May 12, 2020
Kansas City
Our old GF TV/Internet service was $190 & change a month. The TV part was about $105 of that. Now, far as I can figure, we'll be paying GF $70-ish for the internet & DirecTV Stream $90 a month for the "cable" TV ( I ended up going with them because they were easily the closest to the channel lineup we got with GF the last 6 years ). So if I've done the math right, we'll be paying about $15 less per month for the new setup for supposedly better wi-fi & roughly the same cable TV product.
Follow-up to this, as now I've gone thru the first legit billing cycle with the Internet-only version of Google Fiber, & DirecTV Stream.

Pre-March monthly cost : $191.79 for Google Fiber internet + Google Fiber TV

New monthly cost : $159.99 for Google Fiber internet + DirecTV Stream ( with a 99% comparable channel lineup to what we had with Google Fiber )

Monthly savings : $31.80

DADDY LIKE.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Really liking YouTube TV. $70 for what they give you is pretty good. Only thing missing is my regional sports networks, but I don't start paying attention to the Non-Bronco teams until the playoffs (which means I never see the Rockies but I digress). It does have the two sports I primarily watch (Auto Racing/F1/IndyCar) and Premier League Soccer (Liverpool is like the Red Sox or Cowboys, they're on constantly). Also has a nice DVR feature. And the interface is nice. Pretty happy with it.

Reactions: MonoStereo

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Really liking YouTube TV. $70 for what they give you is pretty good. Only thing missing is my regional sports networks, but I don't start paying attention to the Non-Bronco teams until the playoffs (which means I never see the Rockies but I digress). It does have the two sports I primarily watch (Auto Racing/F1/IndyCar) and Premier League Soccer (Liverpool is like the Red Sox or Cowboys, they're on constantly). Also has a nice DVR feature. And the interface is nice. Pretty happy with it.
Ok, hold on there. I just got YouTube TV. I thought you were leaning towards Direct TV streaming?

Anyway, I agree that YTTV is a good cable replacement. And AFAIK, the "DVR" is the library feature. If you want to record a particular show, such as SNL, you add any episode to the library, and it basically finds every on-demand episode in the series. So instantly, I have like 30 seasons of SNL.

I also like the program menus in the "Live" mode, both on the TV and phone app. And right now, it's giving us a free preview of all the Cinemax channels.

I also don't recall ever hearing you mention F1. Are you a long-time fan? Are you a Mercedes guy? Ferrari? Hamilton fan? Or Max? I'd be interested to hear.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Ok, hold on there. I just got YouTube TV. I thought you were leaning towards Direct TV streaming?

Anyway, I agree that YTTV is a good cable replacement. And AFAIK, the "DVR" is the library feature. If you want to record a particular show, such as SNL, you add any episode to the library, and it basically finds every on-demand episode in the series. So instantly, I have like 30 seasons of SNL.

I also like the program menus in the "Live" mode, both on the TV and phone app. And right now, it's giving us a free preview of all the Cinemax channels.

I also don't recall ever hearing you mention F1. Are you a long-time fan? Are you a Mercedes guy? Ferrari? Hamilton fan? Or Max? I'd be interested to hear.
DIRECTV was a little out of my range price-wise. And YoutubeTV has the sports channels I like (no NHL network, but there's enough hockey on the networks to compensate, watching CGY/DAL in the playoffs now).

F1 I had picked up in the last few years, since I started watching TopGear/Grand Tour there was a lot of that content on those shows. Always had some form of interest in racing, but it was mostly NASCAR early on (still kind of is, although last on the list). Still trying to decide between Max Verstappen and Hamilton as particular favorite drivers.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
F1 I had picked up in the last few years, since I started watching TopGear/Grand Tour there was a lot of that content on those shows. Always had some form of interest in racing, but it was mostly NASCAR early on (still kind of is, although last on the list). Still trying to decide between Max Verstappen and Hamilton as particular favorite drivers.
To further derail this thread, I've been an avid F1 fan since the late 80s, before Michael Schumacher started in F1. I became a big fan of his. Trivia: one of his teammates was Max's father. After Michael, I rooted for whoever drove for the BMW team, which eventually was Sebastián Vettel. He had 4 WC titles with Red Bull.

Over the last 9 years, Mercedes has nauseatingly dominated, so I root for whoever can beat them.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
To further derail this thread, I've been an avid F1 fan since the late 80s, before Michael Schumacher started in F1. I became a big fan of his. Trivia: one of his teammates was Max's father. After Michael, I rooted for whoever drove for the BMW team, which eventually was Sebastián Vettel. He had 4 WC titles with Red Bull.

Over the last 9 years, Mercedes has nauseatingly dominated, so I root for whoever can beat them.
They haven't been doing that great this year. The race I watched in Miami, Hamilton finished no better than 6th. Verstappen hasn't been entirely dominant, but he's won a couple.

Eagerly awaiting the Vegas race, at night, in 2023. That might be one I would go see in person if I can.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
They haven't been doing that great this year. The race I watched in Miami, Hamilton finished no better than 6th. Verstappen hasn't been entirely dominant, but he's won a couple.

Eagerly awaiting the Vegas race, at night, in 2023. That might be one I would go see in person if I can.
Yes, first time in 9 years that the silver arrows are not dominating. It would be awesome if you can go to a race. I went to the USGP when it was at Indianapolis. They did part of the oval, and the infield course. Montreal is closer to me, but everything gets booked.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
So here's something weird about YouTube TV. As a cable replacement option, it allows you to watch any channel live, as it's being broadcast. That includes commercials, and on many channels, the commercials look pretty much the same as when I had cable.

But on some of the national channels like CNN and MSNBC, a portion of the commercials are replaced with this
YouTube TV commercial placeholder (BBC America)_000005.jpg

It's accompanied by music that repeats every 3 seconds, sometimes for minutes. Supposedly, there are blocks of commercials that are controlled by the local cable provider, and so with a streaming service, you don't get them.

But here's where it gets weird. The YTTV phone app streams the same channels on my phone. But when my TV replaces the commercials with the gray banner, I can see the commercials on the phone. Then both the TV and phone return to the show at the same time.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I'd prefer seeing more commercials, or listen to the monotonous music.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
When we go to the Caribbean, HLN has the same type of thing. Any service you get commercials on during that time is adding them which was the whole point. It's the same as network TV. Certain blocks of commercials are for local stations while others are aired across the whole network.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Certain blocks of commercials are for local stations while others are aired across the whole network.
Yeah, I'm aware that there are 2 categories of commercials. But prior to getting a streaming service, my provider has always filled-in all the commercial spots. This is the first time I'm seeing what is essentially "dead air". But the other odd thing is how the phone app is showing the commercials that the TV stream isn't airing. It's just really strange.

MonoStereo

May 12, 2020
Kansas City
You get this same thing with DirecTV Stream. It also pops up for Paid Programming like Joel Osteen's show ( it comes on after the local ABC affiliate news on Sunday mornings here ). And every week I make a dumb "OH, NO - THEY DONE TOOK MAH JOEL OSTEEN SHOW AWAY!!!!" joke in my head.

IndustrialH

"Not dead... just resting"
From Radio Insight:

SiriusXM Launches On Comcast TV Platforms

SiriusXM announced today that its SXM App, which delivers more than 425 SiriusXM channels of the best in audio entertainment – Howard Stern, ad-free music, sports and more – is now available to tens of millions of Comcast customers nationwide on Xfinity X1, Xfinity Flex and XClass TV, giving its subscribers a new way to experience SiriusXM programming at home.

With the SXM App, customers can stream Howard Stern’s two exclusive channels, more than 330 channels of ad-free music from virtually every musical genre, curated to match the mood or create the perfect vibe, plus podcasts, live sports and sports talk, entertainment, news, comedy and more.

Future enhancements to the SXM App experience on Comcast’s platforms are expected to include access to SiriusXM’s expansive video library. SiriusXM Video offers more than 11,000 pieces of content, including must-see moments and interviews from The Howard Stern Show, exclusive music performances, plus shows, interviews and clips from across the SiriusXM programming lineup.

“We’re thrilled that the SXM App is now live across Comcast’s entertainment platforms, enabling its customers to easily get our great streaming features and our full lineup of audio entertainment,” said Joe Verbrugge, Chief Commercial Officer, SiriusXM. “For over two decades SiriusXM has been the perfect soundtrack for listeners in their cars. The SXM App on Comcast also delivers the perfect atmosphere for our subscribers when they are at home, whether that’s playing the right music for any kind of party, laughing along with our comedy channels, or getting world, sports or entertainment news from one of our many channels while working around the house. SiriusXM gives everybody at home something to enjoy.”

“SiriusXM offers an extensive array of content and is a great addition to the growing catalog of apps available across our entertainment platforms,” said Sudhir Muralidhar, Vice President, App Ecosystem, Comcast. “With today’s launch across X1, Flex and XClass TV, our customers can now enjoy all their favorite music channels, podcasts, live news and more from SiriusXM on the biggest screen in their home, seamlessly integrated alongside all their other entertainment.”

Eligible Comcast customers can activate a free 3-month SiriusXM subscription offer by going to www.SiriusXM.com/Xfinity.

Comcast customers can access SiriusXM on X1, Flex or XClass TV by saying “SiriusXM” into their voice remote, or by finding it within each device’s app section. Comcast’s entertainment products and experiences, including Xfinity X1, Xfinity Flex and XClass TV, seamlessly combine voice search, discovery, apps and interactive features into one intuitive experience.

Existing SiriusXM customers can sign in with their credentials and enjoy a seamless listening experience between Comcast’s devices and the SXM App on their mobile device, allowing them to access their favorites and pick up listening where they left off on either device.

Music on SiriusXM is expertly curated and delivers an exceptionally wide array of audio choices for listeners. Covering every genre across many decades, channels feature popular tracks and deep cuts from popular artists, as well as introduce listeners to new and emerging musicians and bands. Artist-branded channels from Hall of Fame and iconic talent feature exclusive content that can’t be heard anywhere else. SiriusXM’s concept-based channels such as Road Trip Radio and Yacht Rock Radio, or its many activity and mood-based channels, are designed to deliver a more personalized music experience that fits the moment.

Subscribers can also create their own personalized Pandora Stations within the SXM App that utilize Pandora’s listener personalization technology. Users create these stations based on their favorite artists and can thumbs up, thumbs down or skip songs to give them more control over what they’ll hear on that channel.

SiriusXM channels deliver an extensive schedule of live professional and college sporting events, plus two dozen dedicated sports talk channels; news from around the country and the world from many sources and political perspectives; the scoop on the latest from the world of entertainment; hours of stand-up by the funniest comics; and advice on life, health, faith and more.

Listeners can also access a wide-ranging and expanding collection of acclaimed and award-winning podcasts on the SXM App, including Conan O’Brien Needs a Friend, Comedy Gold Minds with Kevin Hart, Office Ladies, 99% Invisible, Freakonomics Radio, Pod Save America, series from Marvel Entertainment, and much more.

Reactions: HecticArt

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I have the new Sirius XM app platform on my Roku but it crashes after about 10 minutes of listening. the Older version on my Smart tv with last up to an hour and a half before I have to shut the tv off and back on again.