New Android Phones

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
A friend has a Pixel and loves it for the camera alone.
Have fun.
I take pics but the camera isn't like a huge deal for me. It is cool to have a great one tho. Those reviews I posted all talk Abt how between the cam hardware and the phone software it's really point and shoot and the phone makes it a good pic. So it is nice to know I can pull up the cam, hit the 5x zoom and just shoot and know the phone will produce something good.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I've had this fun new phone for a couple months now. And I've noticed something. And I'm getting spoiled. Before this phone, the earpiece did not act as a speaker in my last phone. And I was blown away when it did with this one. I know I'm behind the times. Whatever fuck you. But now that I'm used to it, I'm thinking that these phones need to figure out a way to put a speaker adjacent to the earpiece. Like one at the top of the phone just as powerful as the one at the bottom. Because the earpiece speaker is nowhere near as good as the main speaker at the bottom of the phone.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I just realized that my Note 9 is 5 years old already. It seems like I just got it.
It’s still in great shape and the battery still usually makes it through 5 days on a charge.

The new S23 ultra looks pretty nice with the stylus and even better cameras. I’m not really itching to upgrade since my 9 is still doing so well, but it might be 2 years before the next upgrade is released.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
It’s still in great shape and the battery still usually makes it through 5 days on a charge.
Every time you say this, a few of my brain cells commit suicide. The only way my phone would go 5 days on a charge is if I used it to briefly check things for maybe 30 minutes a day. But with almost constant use - including streaming, navigation, and gaming - I can drain the battery in like 5 or 6 hours (the phone is 2 years old).

I'm guessing you have one of those Motorola turbo things with the big battery.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
That stuck out to me too. With an almost brand new phone I was amazed to get 1 full day on a charge. Podcasts, streaming, talking and texting and navigation means I'm at 20 something percent by the end of the day.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
The new S23 ultra looks pretty nice with the stylus and even better cameras.
If you're upgrading for the first time in 5 years then yea, get the best of the best. But the 23 ultra is only slightly better than the s22.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I'm not a slave to my phone. I don't check it every 2 minutes.

I do about an hour of calls per week and maybe 15 texts a day, and a dozen emails.
I probably listen to an hour of music and browse the internet an hour & a half per week.
I keep the wi-fi off except when I'm updating apps or hitting the internet at home.
Location stays off except for when I need to use maps, and I don't have anything that uses Bluetooth, so that stays off too.
The thing that probably saves the most battery is that I keep the screen brightness down most of the time.
I also turn it off at night (6 or 7 hours) because I don't take it upstairs and I wouldn't answer it anyway.

The Samsungs have a great reputation for battery life........once the batteries stopped catching on fire that is....

If I'm traveling & using it a lot, I can get close to 2 days, but I'll usually plug it in at night anyway.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Obviously I use my phone for apps in the car, while you don't. So that's a big difference. And I don't charge in the car. But also I use my phone whenever I'm not working (like now), and even while working I use it for anything personal (like Facebook, email, texts, calls). I don't use a personal laptop; we have one, but the Mrs. tends to use it.

I put my phone on a charger at bedtime, so I don't take it to bed. But overall, it gets plenty of use for finding all the DRC content you've come to know and love.

Reactions: HecticArt

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I use my phone all the time. Charge it every night. Sometimes during the day if convenient. Just had battery replaced and now it only drains about 40% during the course of the day. I have almost everything Hectic has off on at least more than him. If you have power why not use it to charge? When the apocalypse comes Hectic will be enjoying his phone for a couple more days than me.

• Haha

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
During the work day, I try to avoid the distraction of personal stuff. I know that I’ll go down the rabbit hole and waste too much time if I’ll not careful.

If I’m using GPS in the car I’ll plug in, and when I’m downloading photos at work, it charges over USB. The thing charges super fast, so it’ll often top off from that.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
During the work day, I try to avoid the distraction of personal stuff. I know that I’ll go down the rabbit hole and waste too much time if I’ll not careful.
I check Facebook maybe twice during the workday, and I make a point not to respond or post anything. I don't want to hear "hey, I noticed you liked my post when you were supposed to be working". For a long time, I used a wireless charging stand at the office, and now I use it at home. It charges, but you can easily grab the phone if you get a call. I also charge when we're having dinner.

I use the Bluetooth everywhere; to connect to my car, my laptops, and all the home audio receivers and speakers. It's always on. Same with GPS. I like being able to use the timeline feature from google. But also, I have enough fiddling to do when I setup my phone in the car. I don't want to add to it by having to turn all these things on, and then off. In this cold weather, you just want to start the car and go.

I can imagine IRBS saying "don't you know where you're going? Why do you need GPS on, or navigation?" Good question, Doug. Aside from getting an ETA for appointments, I'm always checking traffic, and the google maps traffic only works if everyone has GPS on. I find it to be an amazingly useful feature.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I can imagine IRBS saying "don't you know where you're going? Why do you need GPS on, or navigation?" Good question, Doug. Aside from getting an ETA for appointments, I'm always checking traffic, and the google maps traffic only works if everyone has GPS on. I find it to be an amazingly useful feature.
I use GPS all the time. I don't always do what it tells me but I use it frequently unless its someplace I have gone frequently.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Out here they're usually smart enough to not do roadwork during rush hour. But the downside is that you'll get stuck at an unsuspecting time of day with night work. It happens when I'm coming home from band practice at 9:30 pm.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
9:30? Is Matlock still on?

I leave around 11:00…… but we need more practice………we should probably play a few more hours…..

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
9:30? Is Matlock still on?

I leave around 11:00…… but we need more practice………we should probably play a few more hours…..
It's community band. It meets from 7 - 9 pm, every week. We take a 10 minute break at 8. We used to have snacks before covid.

We're not creating Dark Side of the Moon. It's like high school band class, except 2 of them together, and with old people. All of us (except the retired ones) have been working all day before coming. Our director is head of the arts for the Boston public schools. So he's probably been up since 5 am. And he has to get up at 5 am.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Ohhhhh....Samsung is cheating!

They're camera on the new s22 uses a dirty trick where if you take a pic of the moon it realizes it's the moon then puts detail on the pic that wasn't caught in the actual photo. Like the pixel uses software to clean up my pics but it doesn't put shit in the pic that wasn't really there.