Scotch Sampler

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Aww man, that is a must see flick.
There are too many throw-backs to our youth.
About a week ago, when there was nothing else on, I saw it on the channel guide, and we watched it from about a half-hour in until the end. I had totally forgotten that Catherine Zeta Jones was another fling, in addition to Lisa Bonet.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
One of the biggest names in alt rock of the new millennium is Modest Mouse. What often makes a new band popular, is how they stand-out and make their own sound. With frontman Isaac Brock, they stand out in spades. It's hard to classify the music, as it's a combination of dance, funk, folk, and rock. But what makes it unique, is Brock's singing style. I don't even know what to call it - it's a cross between singing and spoken word, and it's intentionally undisciplined. But to look at him, you'd never think that sound would come from someone who looked like the president of the fraternity, a middle-manager in training.

They formed in the 90's, and their first album was titled This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About. As you'll see, this would become a theme for album titles. But they didn't make their mark until 2000's The Moon & Antarctica, with both critical acclaim, and a song that got used for TV shows and commercials, while lacking the eventual sonic style they would become known for

Modest Mouse – Gravity Rides Everything

Then 2004 brought them both critical and commercial success, for their album Good News for People Who Love Bad News. The song Float On was a big hit, but I really liked this one

Modest Mouse - Ocean Breathes Salty (live on Conan)

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Their fortunes kept rising, as guitar legend Johnny Marr joined for 2007's We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank. They hit the big times with songs that are now alt rock standards

Modest Mouse – Dashboard (live on Letterman)

This one has a very different style, further expanding their appeal

Modest Mouse – Missed the Boat (live on Craig Ferguson)

And here's another funky rocker

Modest Mouse – We’ve Got Everything

Their next release was a 2009 EP of collected singles, named No One's First, and You're Next. It featured this powerful, emotional song

Modest Mouse – Satellite Skin (live on Letterman)

They went on a long hiatus, and emerged in 2015 with another strong album, which I'll talk about later.

Reactions: Aaron and HecticArt

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
As I may not have time tomorrow, here's tomorrow's installation today. This one may seem like cheating, but I don't care. I like Phish, got a CD or two, but I'm no Jan Hendrik Der Koopman. However, Trey Anastasio put out a particular album in 2005 that I love. It's called Shine, and it contains his highest charting solo song by the same name. He's also put out a bunch of other solo albums, but I don't care. So normally I'd cover the discography of the band and the solo artist, but this time, it's just the one solo album, and I don't care.

Trey is obviously a talented songwriter and guitarist, and in this album, it all comes together, nicely and concisely. It opens with the title track, with an acoustic lead-in, and a great groove, backed by awesome harmonies

Trey Anastasio - Shine

That's followed by the fun and funky downhome sound of this track

Trey Anastasio – Tuesday

Another good song is Come As Melody, followed by this absolute guitar smoker

Trey Anastasio – Air Said to Me

You may have noticed that I haven't posted any live performances yet. In a nod to irony, the consummate live performer doesn't have much good live material on "the tube". But I did find good clips for the next two.

This is more of a sweet ballad, with a poignant, almost classical guitar solo at the end

Trey Anastasio – Wherever You Find It (live)

and lastly, there's this nice folksy sing-along type song, to wrap things up

Trey Anastasio – Sweet Dreams Melinda (live)

It's a really strong album, from a veteran musician.

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Not a HUGE phish fan, but Trey Anastasio is pretty good. Beyond 'Farmhouse' I think I enjoy his solo stuff more than the band.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
If I mention Nine Inch Nails, you might notice that I didn't cover them in the 90's. Pretty Hate Machine came out in 1989, but I'm not really an industrial rock guy. 1994's The Downward Spiral had a few songs that I really liked, such as Closer, and this one

Here's the original version (the Johnny Cash version has been posted here a lot lately)

Nine Inch Nails - Hurt

In 1997, they contributed to the Lost Highway soundtrack, with The Perfect Drug, and in '99, they released The Fragile. But I really got into 2005's With Teeth, partly because I liked the songs, and partly because of my following of Dave Grohl's career. Songs like You Know What You Are and The Collector have prominent drumming from the drum master. And all these songs are favorites

Nine Inch Nails – The Hand That Feeds (live)

Nine Inch Nails – Only

Nine Inch Nails – Every Day Is Exactly the Same

After this album, things dropped off between NIN and I.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I've liked NIN all the way through.
I discovered them in 91 and was blown away. I was already into some industrial stuff like Front 242, but NIN crossed the divide with a rock take on it.
The ambient stuff of theirs isn't quite my thing though. I keep waiting for something to happen, and it never quite does. It's very stressful.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I followed the exact opposite path on NIN. I think I shared this already so stop me stop oh oh stop me if you've heard this one before (or just skip the paragraph below).

I went out dancing one night (1990?) and was talking to the DJ. I asked him what new bands he recommends and he said Nitzer Ebb and Nine Inch Nails. A little while later my room mate was making a custom cassette of songs he liked on a Personix machine (those didn't last long). He had extra room so I suggsted a couple tracks from Pretty Hate Machine (the only one he had out at the time). We both became huge fans. Not only groundbreaking music but lyrics that slayed me. Broken blew my head completely off my shoulders. Downward Spiral was good, but not as good as the first two. He lost me on The Fragile, the first two singles were a big WTF to me. I liked about half of the album, about half as much as his earlier stuff.

Like Scotch said, "You Know What You Are" is great, mainly thanks to Grohl. I also liked "Getting Smaller" but aside from those, I didn't get into Witha Teetha, proving I had fallen off the edge of the world by then. Later, "Non-Entity" and "Not So Pretty Now" surfaced from those sessions and I like them both. So Scotch if you haven't heard of those, add those to your Witha Teetha collection!

The marketing for Year Zero was brilliant. Leaving random USB drives at concerts. Making sound files that, when viewed with a spectrograph, was actually artwork. Genius. I liked about half of that album.

The last two NIN singles I liked were "Came Back Haunted" (2013) and "Discipline" (2008). "Less Than" (2017) was alright.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The marketing for Year Zero was brilliant. Leaving random USB drives at concerts. Making sound files that, when viewed with a spectrograph, was actually artwork. Genius. I liked about half of that album.
I didn't know about that. It's pretty cool. So that's what you can do with a decent amount of money and time to let your creativity run wild.

I should look into doing that someday.

Reactions: sadchild

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Everybody has different tastes and preferences when it comes to styles of popular music, and what flavors of each type they prefer. I have a lot of respect for Rage Against the Machine, but I don't get too much into that type of rock. I was a big fan of Soundgarden, but not all of their stuff. So when some members of each merged into Audioslave, it was kind of like

Their 2002 debut album had some radio hits, but it didn't do much for me. But their follow-up, 2005's Out of Exile, had a couple of singles I really liked, so I bought the album. For me, it was the perfect amount of Cornell and Morello; two great tastes that taste great together. I liked the songwriting too. And BTW, there are literally hundreds of artists/songs posted in these music threads that I find disdainful, but I don't point it out, because it's all just someone else's taste vs mine. So, keeping that in mind, here are my favorites from the album

Audioslave - Your Time Has Come (live)

Audioslave - Out of Exile

Audioslave – Be Yourself (live)

Audioslave – Doesn’t Remind Me (live on Leno)

A year later, they put out Revelations, but that didn't do much for me either.

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Hmm. I don't want to give radio silence. But I don't want to come across poorly either. I never want anyone to think I disapprove of someone liking a band (especially since I listen to some pretty wonky ones!) So I'll share this -

I remember when they abandoned the project, but their recordings were leaked online and all over the file sharing sites.

If I remember right, those demos generated so much interest that they got back together and finished them properly. If not for the Napster-type file sharing apps of the time, it probably never would have come to fruition. I always thought that was an interesting story!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I like em. There are times where Cornell sounds like his vocal cords are about to spill out on the floor. It makes me cringe a bit to think of how much that must have hurt him.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I like em. There are times where Cornell sounds like his vocal cords are about to spill out on the floor. It makes me cringe a bit to think of how much that must have hurt him.
If you look for live video clips, you'll see that his voice came and went, over the years. There's a period where it was gone. But in 2005, when this Audioslave album came out, he was in good form.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
The Kills are another one of those two person bands, with a twist. The guitarist is a British guy, and it's fronted by a woman, American Alison Mosshart, who's become known as the frontwoman for Jack White side project The Dead Weather. But before all that, back in 2003, The Kills put out their first album, though it was their 2005 sophomore release, No Wow, that made them big in the indie/alt rock circles, with this very infectious song, and still the sexiest video I know

The Kills – The Good Ones

They continued to gain popularity with their next release, 2008's Midnight Boom. One of the songs getting radio airplay was U.R.A. Fever, plus these

This is a fun, punky little ditty

The Kills – M.E.X.I.C.O.

and this is the funky hit from the album

The Kills – Sour Cherry

They dropped off my radar for a bit with their next album in 2011 (perhaps Dead Weather was getting in the way), but in 2016, they put out Ash & Ice, which contained this song that got widespread airplay

The Kills – Doing It to Death