Scotch Sampler

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I have "Mr. Brightside" and "Somebody Told Me" in my library. I have heard them on my local 70s-80s-90s station. Until I looked just now I did not realize the album came out is 2004. I actually assumed I hadn't heard them before because they were an obscure Canadian band (they are not). They just came out at a time when I was not listening to current hits. Anyways, I like them.
I'm surprisingly pleased to hear this.

I love their song "Runaways".
I like "Runaways" too.
That came out in 2012, on the album after the last one I referenced. I probably wasn't listening to stations that were playing it at the time.

I'm intrigued as to where IRBS would have caught it.

Didn't realize Brandon Flowers was the frontman of Killers.

Reactions: sadchild

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'm surprisingly pleased to hear this.

That came out in 2012, on the album after the last one I referenced. I probably wasn't listening to stations that were playing it at the time.

I'm intrigued as to where IRBS would have caught it.
I saw @sadchild mention it, I went to youtube and had a listen. Same as I did the ones you posted. I like the sound and the songs. Sometimes the music you post grabs me.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
A big contributor in the 2000s is a band with a low profile, one that often gets overlooked, but consistently puts out good stuff year after year. I'm talking about Spoon. Hailing from Austin Texas, they formed in the 90's, but didn't make a big splash until releasing the critically acclaimed Kill the Moonlight in 2002, containing this hit song

Spoon – The Way We Get By

In 2005 they released Gimme Fiction, and scored a radio hit with I Turn My Camera On. But 2007 was a big year for them, with the release of Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, which had a number of hit songs on it. There's You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb, as well as these favorites

Spoon - Don’t You Evah

Spoon - The Underdog

They followed up with 2010's Transference, giving us the songs Written In Reverse, and my favorite Spoon song of them all, with a funky driving beat

Spoon - Got Nuffin (live on Letterman)

While I don't want to get too far ahead of myself (2017's Hot Thoughts is great), their 2014 album They Want My Soul continued to provide great music, with the title track, Do You, Inside Out, and the heavy groove of this one

Spoon - Rent I Pay (live)

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
They followed up with 2010's Transference
This is when I first them: "Who Makes Your Money". That was the only song I got into from them until...
Spoon - Rent I Pay
This one and "Do You" are great! I think "Do You" should have been a big hit, frankly.
Spoon – The Way We Get By
Makes me think of Paul Westerberg fronting Ben Folds Five. I dig it. Added it to my YouTube playlist.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
It's One-Offs for the Aughts day!

I present to you a collection of individual favorite songs from different artists, released between 2001 and 2008, which don't merit their own page - because I don't have any other favorites from them. I had to cast a big net to catch all of these and pull them in. But I think they're worth it, so here we go.

Guided By Voices, from Ohio, has been around for a while, and put out a number of songs that have gotten radio airplay. But this is their big hit song from 2001
Guided by Voices – Glad Girls

Electric Six is a wild, kooky band from Detroit. They're known for the songs Danger! High Voltage! and this one. Supposedly this video was banned when it came out in 2003
Electric Six – Gay Bar

Nickel Creek is a collection of very talented bluegrass musicians. They have some vocal songs, but this instrumental was very popular on AC radio in '03
Nickel Creek – Smoothie Song

This is perhaps my favorite one-off hit song. This NYC band has done other stuff, but not like this 2004 rocker
Ambulance ltd – Primitive (The Way I Treat You)

Franz Ferdinand is a ubiquitous alternative band, and they've been around for years. Their hits include 2005's Do You Want To, 2008's Ulysses, and 2009's No You Girls. But they all sound a lot like their first hit in 2004 from this Scottish group
Franz Ferdinand – Take Me Out

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
The British band Ladytron has put out many good albums, but this is their signature song, and it's THE perfect electronica tune, from 2005
Ladytron – Destroy Everything You Touch

I think everybody knows Gorillaz. They get a lot of crossover airplay. This is my favorite of theirs from 2005
Gorillaz – Feel Good

Sufjan Stevens (pronounced SOO-fee-an) is a prolific singer songwriter, with a soft-spoken voice, and great lyrics. I'm actually going to feature a more recent release of his later, but this is his best known song from the era
2005 Sufjan Stevens – Chicago

Tapes 'n Tapes, from Minneapolis, is a great example of an indie band combining garage and punk elements into today's music. They've put out several albums, but this is from their most popular one released in 2005
Tapes ‘n Tapes – Just Drums

Three things I learned about Broken Social Scene: They're Canadian, they have like 100 band members (see the list below), and one member is Leslie Feist - known as the solo artist Feist (of 1-2-3-4 fame). Here's one of their hit songs
2005 Broken Social Scene - 7/4 (Shoreline)

1620232523342.png

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
The Thermals, from Portland OR, are an intense post-punk band, who have released many albums. This is their big hit from 2006
The Thermals – A Pillar of Salt

Seattle group Band of Horses is still making music. Their sound crosses over into AC. Here's their beautiful breakout hit from 2006
Band of Horses – The Funeral

The Flaming Lips have been around since the 80's. They're best known for She Don't Use Jelly, and they're a very goofy group. This song from 2006 is one I truly look forward to hearing when it comes on the radio
Flaming Lips – The W.A.N.D. (Will Always Negates Defeat)

I was really into this British band when they first got radio airplay with the 2008 album Neptune. But they never became big. I think they sound like Jefferson Airplane
Duke Spirit – The Step and the Walk

Finally, some classic indie post-punk from Danish band The Raveonettes. This is their 2008 hit
The Raveonettes – Aly, Walk with Me

I ran out of room before getting to Canadian band Land of Talk's song Some Are Lakes. Maybe next time.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Holy Schmoley you dropped a lot in in this one. :clap:

One of those bands that I know, but don't really KNOW their songs. Not bad, I don't gravitate to them, but I don't turn away if they are on somewhere.
Electric Six
Super fun band. I never remember that they were from Detroit.
Ambulance ltd
I remember you posting from them before. I like it.
Franz Ferdinand
No no.....They didn't do the iPhone commercial...... Great stuff either way.
Ladytron –
I dig the electronica thing. That's a great song.
Gorillaz –
Killer stuff. I'm not asking what sunshine in a bag is....... o_O
Tapes ‘n Tapes –
Fun. I don't remember you sharing them before. I don't think I've heard of them either.
Broken Social Scene
Not bad. I didn't know Feist was with them. I know they play on XMU, and I think on Alt Nation too.
The Thermals
I love this album. I haven't played it in a little while. I need to correct that.
Flaming Lips
I discovered them in college in the early 90s. My first reaction was WTF, but they won me over very quickly.
The Raveonettes
I like these guys, but don't know a lot of their stuff. This one is cool, dark, brooding, Scandinavian, goodness.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Holy guacamole indeed!

LOVE IT! Downloading now. That obscure folk artist I like (Bill Fox) -- his original band The Mice inspired the main guy in GBV. Then a GBV album inspired Bill to get back into music after a long hiatus.

Fox originally fronted the 1980s power pop group The Mice, a band sometimes referred to as ‘The Cleveland Replacements’, whose sound heavily influenced and inspired Robert Pollard, frontman of Guided By Voices.

Inspired by the band that was inspired by him, Fox began recording songs in his living room on a 4-track cassette recorder after hearing Guided By Voices' 1993 album Vampire On Titus.

Electric Six – Gay Bar
Yeah this is a fun one. Their song "High Voltage" is okay too, but not as good as this one. LET'S START A NUCLEAR WAR! AT THE GAY BAR GAY BAR GAY BAR!
Franz Ferdinand – Take Me Out
These are the guys who made a song that incorporates beating on actual human skulls!
Sufjan Stevens (pronounced SOO-fee-an)
Thank you! Now I know how to pronounce it. I like his song "Should Have Known Better". Very light and airy.
Flaming Lips
I like "Jelly" and "Turn It On".
I think they sound like Jefferson Airplane
Duke Spirit – The Step and the Walk
Very much so. Added this to my YouTube playlist!

Whew!

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I don't know the lyrics really well, but the line "When I was three or four, she left me in that video store" always stood out. I guess he wasn't being metaphorical after all, and actually ditched him at a Blockbuster?