Who does the ACC pick up now?

Who will the ACC go after for its 14th all sports member?

• Louisville

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Cincinnati

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Connecticut

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Old Dominion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • East Carolina

• Navy

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Other (please specify)

• Total voters

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
PAC 12 has said they have no plans to expand. I'd rather them stay in the Mountain & Pacific times zones. No Central :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk :)

They had planned to be the Pac-16 by pilfering the Big 12 for a while. Guess those plans are off.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
With the pending arrival of Pitt and Syracuse and the departure of Maryland (idiots), that leaves the ACC at 13 schools. They'll want 14, obviously. Who will they try to add?

Why are they idiots? They had to cut some sports and yes the athletic department is in shambles. So again why are they idiots?

With the Big Ten Network and other TV contracts expiring in 2016 It's been said The Big Ten will be able to pay each school around $40 million a year after ESPN and so on give them a new contract. That would never ever happen in The ACC.

The only other conference that will able to do that is The SEC when they start their own network. It has been said that with The BTN's penetration around the country The SEC might not be able to match what The Big Ten can way their schools. Even after they start their own network.

I'm not happy that Maryland and Rutgers will be joining The Big Ten but then again I don't really care. I root for Ohio State. I could give a shit less about the rest of the conference.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
They're idiots because:

1. The Big Ten is a terrible geographic fit.
  2. Maryland's athletic woes are of its own making. Moving to another conference where they can't win in football and will be .500 in basketball won't change that.
  3. All of this conference realignment to chase TV dollars is a bubble that will burst someday. When it does, where does that leave scrub add-ons like Maryland and Rutgers? Is the Big Ten going to be more loyal to Michigan or Maryland when it shrinks to reflect reality in a few years?

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
If we were to carry this madness to the nth degree, this is what should happen:

The Pac-12 and the ACC should merge to form the Coastal Conference, the first 25-team mega-conference. They'll play two teams from the opposing division (Atlantic or Pacific) in football each year, and four in basketball. The division winners will meet in New Orleans for the conference championship in football each December, and for the conference tournament in March.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
They're idiots because:

1. The Big Ten is a terrible geographic fit.
  2. Maryland's athletic woes are of its own making. Moving to another conference where they can't win in football and will be .500 in basketball won't change that.
  3. All of this conference realignment to chase TV dollars is a bubble that will burst someday. When it does, where does that leave scrub add-ons like Maryland and Rutgers? Is the Big Ten going to be more loyal to Michigan or Maryland when it shrinks to reflect reality in a few years?

The one thing that will not burst is BTN. The Big Ten has lapped the field when it comes to TV. ESPN hates it. Why do you think ESPN is investing so much for their version of The SEC Network? It's because they know if The SEC does their network on their own too it will really hurt ESPN.

It's all about money for Maryland. They want feel financially safe. The Big Ten offers that like no other conference. All because of the huge success of BTN. I know its sad but it's the truth.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I don't like it because it waters down the B1G.

Then was the last time a school from Indiana has been relevant in B1G football? Or from Minnesota or Illinois for that matter.

Two more teams won't hurt the B1G. It will also give schools like Nebraska a chance to play close to New York & Washington DC :)

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Then was the last time a school from Indiana has been relevant in B1G football? Or from Minnesota or Illinois for that matter.

Two more teams won't hurt the B1G. It will also give schools like Nebraska a chance to play close to New York & Washington DC :)

We already have enough bad teams in the B1G like you just stated, don't need more.:scratch: That's why nobody respects winners of bad conference like Big East and ACC, weak competition.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
We're all chowderheads. Not one of us picked LOOEY-vull in our poll.

Although I did say Louisville is usually good in both money sports, and if you read semipenguin's post you can see how true that is.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
We're all chowderheads. Not one of us picked LOOEY-vull in our poll.

Although I did say Louisville is usually good in both money sports, and if you read semipenguin's post you can see how true that is.

But what's a bigger prize? The Baltimore - Washington DC market, or the Louisville market? :confused:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I would rather say to my corporate sponsors that we just picked up 6 million eyes from the New York - Baltimore - DC areas than 100,000 from the Louisville area :idea:

blyons200

Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I would rather say to my corporate sponsors that we just picked up 6 million eyes from the New York - Baltimore - DC areas than 100,000 from the Louisville area :idea:

Can't argue with that. So what if nobody in DC watches the B1G network or Maryland football. They are paying for it and Nebraska gets some of that money!:confused:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Much the same way Colorado is getting something like $22-$26 Million from the PAC-12. Maybe they can use part of that money to get a decent football coach!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Can't argue with that. So what if nobody in DC watches the B1G network or Maryland football. They are paying for it and Nebraska gets some of that money!:confused:

It helps that grads from Nebraska move to the east coast :)

The largest market the B1G has now is Chicago. Lincoln isn't exactly a metropolis :(

blyons200

Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
It helps that grads from Nebraska move to the east coast :)

The largest market the B1G has now is Chicago. Lincoln isn't exactly a metropolis :(

Nebraska is one of those teams that has fans across the entire country, there are Husker watch sites in almost every city in the US. Go Big Red!