Zune hd out today

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Who's buying one?

Who will review one?

I'm really interested in this device and if I hadn't bought the P3 from Samsung in July, I would be first in line today.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I guess I'll be the one to pick up DAB's slack (and it's probably more fitting if I did the review anyways). :p

I get off work in an hour, if I spot a 32 GB, I'll buy it and give you a detailed review. :)

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Agree.

Steve Jobs himself will come to DABS house just to punch him in the face and confiscate his new Super Air Lite Mac Book Ultra Pro 3.6 Professional Series.

Jobs is too cool to do his own dirty work. He'll just order Eric Schmidt from Google to do it if he hopes to get back on the Apple Board.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I think DAB will melt now if he touches a Microsoft product. :)

Agree.

Steve Jobs himself will come to DABS house just to punch him in the face and confiscate his new Super Air Lite Mac Book Ultra Pro 3.6 Professional Series.

I probably have more MS products in one room of my house than the two of you combined! LOL

The Zune HD looks nice, in fact I watched some videos on it last night. Would I trade my iPod Touch 1st gen for one? Not on your life, but that is only because I am already committed to iPod Touch and iPhone. If I was buying now I'd give the Zune HD some strong consideration. I really like the all you can eat Market Place! The display from the videos look great! I think MS just might have a hit with this one. Clearly MS has made some headway in this market being number 2 now.

You guys know I am all about choice! It's nice that we can each get what we want and be happy!

I look forward to Hex's review! Sold out! Wow they already sold the 5 they had in stock! I am impressed! hahaha! I kid, I kid!!! Honestly I hope they do well, because the fact is Apple needs some STRONG competition in this area given the numbers Apple recently released in terms of sales for thei iPod Touch and iPod Nano.

sold+out+sign.jpg

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Wow, I want one, I didn't realize they came out today. Hmm, If I spot one in hte next month or so I might just get one. my old 30 gig zune is due for retirement.

Despite being really excited about the look of this device, I really have never had or used a ZUNE so I can't testify to the UI or feel of the device but I will say that this new ZUNE HD looks great. Really looks like a sexy device.

Peter Atkinson

Oct 17, 2008
Lake Geneva, WI (USA)
I want to get a Zune HD. All the Best Buy's within 50 miles of me (4 stores) are sold out.

I currently have 8 & 30 GB Zunes & love them.

The new Zune HD looks awesome, but the Zune Marketplace needs more content. The new "QuickPlay is pretty cool. Zune also needs more apps. A cool-looking player won't help that.

I hope the Zune HD has a better radio receiver in it than my other 2 Zunes. Otherwise HD Radio just won't work. Even in big cities, I have trouble getting a stereo signal or stable RDS data to use "Buy From FM".

Last edited:

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Yeah, they're hard to get right now...

But it gives me enough time to pull some strings, and get it at a nice discount.

This will be the Zune HD that Microsoft will be building for me:

hexzunealt.png

... or I could go with Blue:

hexzune.png

I haven't decided yet, I'm sure I'll settle on the color at the last minute. :p

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The new Zune HD looks awesome, but the Zune Marketplace needs more content. The new "QuickPlay is pretty cool. Zune also needs more apps. A cool-looking player won't help that.

I've heard they've improved the Marketplace, but in researching the Zune HD I found that the Marketplace uses some sort of points rather than you just being able to pull the trigger with money? Maybe I misunderstood that, but that seems rather lame. MS always seems to complicate things that others do so easily. I've never understood that.

Yeah, they're hard to get right now...

But it gives me enough time to pull some strings, and get it at a nice discount.

This will be the Zune HD that Microsoft will be building for me:

... or I could go with Blue:

I haven't decided yet, I'm sure I'll settle on the color at the last minute. :p

Well just my two cents, but that Blue doesn't turn me on, but then you are buying it for you not me. I just think the all black looks really classy and professional. That blue sort of looks high school to me.

There is no doubt though these are some sleek good looking devices! I certainly like the looks! MS though needs to have the content and apps though if this thing is going to be a serious contender against the iPod Touch. If all they pick up are the anti Apple folks it makes you wonder how successful it will really be. I wonder what their break even before profit sales number is on these? Then again have they ever made a profit on these things?

I am wanting for some real time end user reviews on this thing maybe with some videos or pictures to show what all it can do. I've seen some on YouTube, but they aren't very good, you just don't get a real feel for the device.

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Well just my two cents, but that Blue doesn't turn me on, but then you are buying it for you not me. I just think the all black looks really classy and professional.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the black myself. The only reason why I'm considering the blue is that it matches "Sounder Blue".

That blue sort of looks high school to me.

I know what you mean... It does look a bit "bubblegummish", and the logo does look better on black. It stands out more.

EDIT: Actually, I took another look at the Away jersey, and the colors don't match:

E77901!ADSOC-2196755_d.jpg

Looks like it's black for me! :yesshake:

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the black myself. The only reason why I'm considering the blue is that it matches "Sounder Blue".

I know what you mean... It does look a bit "bubblegummish", and the logo does looks better on better. It stands out more.

Well whatever color you get I can't wait for you to get it, so that we can get that review! I know you'll do a good one!

I honestly sort of hate all these reviews I've read because they all want to compare it to the iPod Touch; I guess that is understandable. But I'd like to read a review about the Zune HD only and talk about all its features and fun stuff. I already know what the iPod Touch can do! I want to know what the Zune HD can do. The size is really great too and thus far everyone says that display is some kind of impressive!

I personally would love to see this thing take off big, because any pressure that MS can put on Apple is a good thing for the market as whole.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
I would LOVE to get one of these, but Microsoft seems to not have any interest in making them play nice with Macs. I've seen video previews of it, and I'd take it any day over the iPod (but not enough so to have to manage two separate music libraries).

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
My understanding is that it was due to DRM issues, XP and above have a very tight layer of DRM management that Zune Pass can tap into to make sure that their content is not being pirated. Mac/linux does not have the kind of DRM management the zune needs to meet the copyright agreement they have with record labels.