Zune hd out today

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
My understanding is that it was due to DRM issues, XP and above have a very tight layer of DRM management that Zune Pass can tap into to make sure that their content is not being pirated. Mac/linux does not have the kind of DRM management the zune needs to meet the copyright agreement they have with record labels.

I kinda figured it was something like that (it's a pain in the ass to code something on *nix without including something that's GPL'ed, and when you do you have to release source, something the record labels definitely wouldn't like too much)... but the damn thing is so sexy!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I would LOVE to get one of these, but Microsoft seems to not have any interest in making them play nice with Macs. I've seen video previews of it, and I'd take it any day over the iPod (but not enough so to have to manage two separate music libraries).

It would be easy enough to do, because it isn't like iTunes on a Mac don't support DRM.

MS just sees the Mac market to small for them to really mess with, except for their Office Suite. They did create the Flip2Mac for windows media and music files to play on a Mac.

I don't see this drawing me away from my iPod Touch because of the limitations in content and apps, including no basic mail, calendar or contacts. However, I do want to check one out just for my own personal knowledge.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Use Boot Camp or VMware Fusion and you're all set. :thumbsup:

Yeah that would work for someone like me that refused to get away from Windows. But there are some folks out there that actually find no need to run Windows! I gotta have Windows myself! :)

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
Use Boot Camp or VMware Fusion and you're all set. :thumbsup:

I'm using Paralells, so that's not an issue. The problem I'm having is I already have a 6000+ song music library going in iTunes. I can't see the Zune software and iTunes getting along well managing the same core set of files. I have everything set up nice, and there's a Squeezebox in the equation too, so I don't see messing around a lot turning out well, unfortunately.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
I'm using Paralells, so that's not an issue. The problem I'm having is I already have a 6000+ song music library going in iTunes. I can't see the Zune software and iTunes getting along well managing the same core set of files. I have everything set up nice, and there's a Squeezebox in the equation too, so I don't see messing around a lot turning out well, unfortunately.
This is exactly the kind of thing my kids have no patience for, they cant understand why one song/playlist plays here, but not there, vise-versa. Its the lack of interoperability that is really lacking in digital music right now.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I read that the HD has wireless sync capability. That sounds like an awesome feature! I'd love to not have to plug my ipod into my PC every day to get new content. I would be great to be able to just throw it on a charger in my bedroom at night and have it sync via wifi.

Too many gadgets, too little time (and money)...

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I read that the HD has wireless sync capability. That sounds like an awesome feature! I'd love to not have to plug my ipod into my PC every day to get new content. I would be great to be able to just throw it on a charger in my bedroom at night and have it sync via wifi.

Too many gadgets, too little time (and money)...

That's one thing I was hoping for in the newest iPod Touch. Having to plug in isn't a HUGE deal, but I was able to sync wirelessly on my old Palm III Tungsten, I don't imagine it would be to hard to do on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
That's one thing I was hoping for in the newest iPod Touch. Having to plug in isn't a HUGE deal, but I was able to sync wirelessly on my old Palm III Tungsten, I don't imagine it would be to hard to do on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Yeah, it's not a huge deal but that is the sort of feature that really stands out and can be super useful. I imagine that we'll see it on the touch one of these days.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

I agree with you, I doubt these two would get along at all! Sounds like you've got a sweet setup though. I guess there is no point in rocking the boat! :)

Yeah clearly this last iPod Update was going to be all about the cam and then when that got ditched the update pretty much boiled down to a fast processor only. It is too bad because the wireless would be a great feature to add for syncing. Clearly the iPod Touch can do it because you can play games against others with an iPod Touch, so that wireless connectivity seems to work very well. They just don't allow the wireless syncing. I also think this is something they could turn on without much effort if they really wanted to allow it.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yeah, it's not a huge deal but that is the sort of feature that really stands out and can be super useful. I imagine that we'll see it on the touch one of these days.

Yeah that has sort of been the means by which they use to draw in folks to update by adding a few features at a time with each update.

I never really found it necessary to upgrade from the 1Gen iPod Touch and still don't see anything on the 3rd Gen except maybe more space if I needed it. None the less I agree we'll see it at some point!

These slow incremental upgrades drives us all crazy, but one has to admit that it is what has made Apple so much money! I think one just has to decide from one upgrade to the next is it really worth it. Like the iPhone 3G vs the iPhone 3GS. To me if you already had a 3G I really didn't see anything significant enough to make me want to upgrade. Fortunately for me I didn't get into the iPhone till the 3GS was released. But you can bet next year mine will be the older model without a doubt and I doubt there was be significant enough changes for me to want to go spend a lot of money upgrading. Apple sort of counts on that though, but not this DAWG! LOL