Mega Millions now at half a billion dollars

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
The difference would be being able to pick the clients and projects that are truly interesting/exciting and being able to work without all the stress.

Exactly. If you currently enjoy what you do then it would only be better because you know that at any time you can end it if it gets too stressful.

Yeah, but if I did work, it'd be something I'd want to do.

That would be the key. They money doesn't matter as long as you are happy with what you do. I've lived that way since my first 'official' job at 14. That explains why I had 23 jobs by the time I was 18 but I was never a day without work (I never quit before I had another one lined up) and I was never fired. Once I stopped being challenged by the job I moved on.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
The most work I'd see myself doing would be to serve on the Board of Directors for various companies.

I'd build a great wine/beer cellar at my residence.

And attend sporting events at all the hallowed venues...

Chrissyb

Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
OK, this is a little off topic, but at least its about the lottery, I read this on twitter today and I thought it was funny:
@KimJongNumberUn
URGENT WILL TRADE NUCLEAR WEAPON FOR MEGA MILLIONS TICKET PLS CONTACT ME ON MYSPACE KTHXBYE

Reactions: semipenguin

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I bought 2 tickets. I probably ought to start buying stuff now, since I won't have enough time to spend it all after I win.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
This huge jackpot will probably stir interest all the lottery games. People who have given up might start playing again. I didn't even think they offered the Mega Millions in my own state. Do you think it is better to play the same numbers over and over or do the quick pick?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Who wants to bet more than one ticket will match all five numbers & the Megaball? (Megaball? :right: )

...Do you think it is better to play the same numbers over and over or do the quick pick?

I've heard both. One guy was on GMA saying he's won big dollar jackpots picking his own numbers.

Then I've heard mathematicians say you'll have just as much luck with a quick pick as you would picking your own numbers :)

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk :)

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
Odds-wise it doesn't matter. Statistically speaking more jackpots are hit with a quick pick but it is used more often.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Do you think it is better to play the same numbers over and over or do the quick pick?

That depends on the number selection mechanism. If it is truly random, then playing the same numbers repeatedly provides the same odds as playing random numbers each time. That's because each selection carries no information from previous selections.

If it isn't random, and certain numbers appear more frequently than others, then playing the numbers that appear most frequently would increase the odds, while playing other numbers would decrease them.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
the lotto preys on the poor.

there is no chance u will win and why waste a buck of that crap when u could get like a double cheeseburger f mc'ds or whatever.

i sometimes buy a scratch-off and i always feel like a jerk afterwards.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Who wants to bet more than one ticket will match all five numbers & the Megaball? (Megaball? :right: )

I've heard both. One guy was on GMA saying he's won big dollar jackpots picking his own numbers.

Then I've heard mathematicians say you'll have just as much luck with a quick pick as you would picking your own numbers :)

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk :)

I heard them say this morning that all possible number combinations have been purchased. So someone is going to win. I bought 2. What the hell.

I heard that if you pick your own numbers, that your odds of winning are supposed to be lower since your numbers aren't random and the lotto numbers are. It was some statistician on the news back in the 90's when there was another big prize on the line. :idunno:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

there is no chance u will win and why waste a buck of that crap when u could get like a double cheeseburger f mc'ds or whatever.

i sometimes buy a scratch-off and i always feel like a jerk afterwards.

Someone wins it, so don't worry about it. You shouldn't feel any more like a jerk than usual. :jj:

If you are really hoping that you are going to win, or are spending too much money on it, then yeah, feel like a jerk. A buck or 2 here or there is pretty cheap entertainment. I look at it as making a donation to the school system. (They get the profits from the lottery commission up here.) So do it for the kids. You'll feel better about it. :hatsoff:

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing

It's a stupid tax. Rich stupid people have other taxes.

There is an infinitesimal chance you will win if you play. That is infinitely greater than the chance of will win if you don't play. I bought two tickets, so I doubled my chances.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Caught lotto fever this morning. Just read where it's at least 630 mil which means it will be 700+ by the time stores cut off sales this evening. Tuesday it was at 9pm CST. Can you imagine the number of new "friends" a single winner will have?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
im enjoying a tasty macaroni grille freezer dinner right now. BOOM! saved like 2 bucks i would have spent of some bs ticket that means im gonna lose. yea...hope is the thing with feathers...

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me."

beautiful dickinson poem that is kinda my mantra. but its not true about the lotto. its all about life in general. not gambling.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Eh, I don't buy lotto tickets that often. Just not worth the money unless it's up this high. Seeing how you have a better chance of being struck by lightning, twice, while at the same time, being hit by a bus.

I think I'll probably make this the last pair of lotto tickets I buy for a few years.

Andrew8468

Plans on freezing in the dark
Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
As long as you aren't using money you would use to pay your rent or buy groceries, I don't see what the big deal is if you buy a ticket or two.