The Random Post Thread

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Nah. It's a good thing. It proves that you're not a sociopath. . . . . probably . . . . .

I just heard someone say that they don't really think that evil exists, but it's equivalent in people is a lack of empathy. Or something like that.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
thanks.

he's been dead for like 2 years....it's kinda emasculating to still cry abt it.
It's a myth that 'macho' men don't cry. I still do for pets and my mom. Even occasionally for my Babba (grandmother) who died when I was 8. Crying is your bodies way of processing emotion. You are healthier to process it than bottle it up. So don't worry about it.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Nah. It's a good thing. It proves that you're not a sociopath. . . . . probably . . . . .

I just heard someone say that they don't really think that evil exists, but it's equivalent in people is a lack of empathy. Or something like that.
There is lacking empathy and doing something to someone that would be stopped if you had empathy. You can lack empathy and still not torture someone to death. 2 separate events. The latter is evil.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I very seldom cry for anything. But when my kid was young she had this hermit crab as a pet. Creepy ass thing.. but I mostly fed it every day and changed its water.

Wouldn't you know when it died, I decided let's have a burial for it in the yard... and there I was fighting back tears.

I look at my kid, and she calmly says "can we get a cat?"

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It's a myth that 'macho' men don't cry.
You’re a macho man?
I wanna be a macho man too.

Are you the cowboy, or the cop?
There is lacking empathy and doing something to someone that would be stopped if you had empathy. You can lack empathy and still not torture someone to death. 2 separate events. The latter is evil.
Granted. Empathy is a bit different, but the word Im looking for escapes me at the moment. You get what I mean though. I still thought the empathy thing was an interesting reflection when I heard it the it the other day.
I look at my kid, and she calmly says "can we get a cat?"
Kids need to see Marley and Me before they are allowed to get pets. They would stop asking if they knew about the heartbreak part.

Reactions: sadchild

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
So this random topic takes me to another related grim subject.

What do you want to happen to you when your days come to an end?
As in, after your best friend clears your browser history, what do you want to happen to your earthly remains?

The Mrs. and I were actually talking about this the other day when they had the service for the DC cop that was murdered during the insurrection.
We are both wanting to get cremated. She's thinking that she wants to get placed in a mausoleum somewhere because she's afraid bugs will get to her if she gets buried. (Chicks :rolleyes:) We don't have kids or big families anymore, so I'm thinking that being put on display at a cemetery or mausoleum is sort of a waste of space. I'm thinking my ashes should get scattered somewhere, but I don't have spot in mind yet.

Where do you guys want to end up?

Reactions: scotchandcigar

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
First off, I don't plan to die.

I have 2 fears. Being buried alive and being burned to death. Naturally this complicates traditional burial and cremation. Perhaps I need one of those middle age bells attached to the grave so I can just give a tug if I am down there.

I will probably just go to wherever my wife goes. Cremated and stored in a cemetery in WV.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Since we're on the subject of dead pets, here's one of the most powerful recent memories I have. My wife's cat died about 10 or so years ago, my son was about 5. My wife and I took him to the vet, and he didn't come home. Later that night (gosh, eyes are already tearing up...) my wife reminded my son that Mitch (the cat) had been sick and getting old, so we took him to the 'pet hospital' and he didn't come home with us, and he won't be coming back home.

My son went downstairs to where the litter box area is (the last place he saw the cat, I believe). He grabbed a piece of paper and pencil and wrote "Mitch was here" and taped it to the floor. Then he went upstairs to his room. I sat in the hallway outside his room silently. A minute later, he came out crying and I just sat in the hall and held him for a couple minutes. Then he went on with the rest of his evening, not sad anymore but not happy either.

I learned a big lesson that day. I think all we really want we go away for good is someone to leave a little note that says "(YOU) were here". You're remembered. And you made a difference.

Okay, I'm off to finish cutting these onions.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
As close to death as I've come lately, I keep planning to get the details in order, but then other things come up. We both want to be cremated, and not buried. I don't want anything special to be done with my ashes. I don't specifically know what Mrs. Scotch wants, but if I were to guess, I'd sprinkle her ashes in the ocean. The only thing that possibly interests me, is one of those memorial plaques that they put along paths and benches at our favorite locations, such as the Marginal Way from Ogunquit to Perkins Cove, or Hartley Mason Park at York Harbor beach. I think one makes a donation in the person's name to get a plaque.

It seems like having a nice place that family members can visit, and think about you, is a good idea. That's what the plaque would do. My wife's sister, who died of cancer, is buried in a well known Jewish cemetery in Sharon Mass, outside of Boston. Her plot is in the same area as her grandparents. While I'm not a fan of burial plots, it's a beautiful cemetery, with acres and acres of trees and rolling hills. It's all landscaped and manicured. So it's a nice place for family to gather every once in a while. But spaces like that are not available anymore, and the ones that are left are expensive.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I'm not afraid of death, I just don't want it to be an especially scary or painful ending.

No real preference for burial or cremation, but the wife would prefer a mausoleum setting, so that's most likely where I'll end up.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I don't plan to die.
Let us know how that works out.

Planning on joining the Rolling Stones?
Perhaps I need one of those middle age bells attached to the grave so I can just give a tug if I am down there.
That would be pretty cool.
Okay, I'm off to finish cutting these onions.
I told ya. It's always Marley and Me.

The only thing that possibly interests me, is one of those memorial plaques that they put along paths and benches
I like that idea too. I don't know where I would want it to go, but hopefully I don't need to decide right away.
im a man.
Wellll..........
I'm not afraid of death, I just don't want it to be an especially scary or painful ending.
I'm not either. I just don't want it to hurt a lot. I don't think anyone in my family makes it out of their 70's, so hopefully I don't end up in a home not being able to take care of myself.

Reactions: sadchild