All Things Disney - Except Movies

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Here's another fun Disney thing I spend way too much time thinking about. (Also I see I started a new page and assume you all use the same settings as I so don't miss that last post w/the video of flying Spiderman because it's incredibly cool.)

This is new mixed with old tech. Pepper's Ghost. It's like an 1800's mirror trick where off stage there are actors or mannequins that are projected onto the stage through the use of mirrors and lighting tricks. It makes them appear transparent. It's how they do the dinner/dancing scene in the Haunted Mansion. Well that and they're real ghosts because the Haunted Mansion is really haunted. "999 happy haunts, but there's always room for 1 more"...bitches.

Well now, Disney has upped the Pepper's Ghost game. Kinda overdue seeing how it's like 1850's tech. They did it in like 2002 in the OG Anaheim Disneyland when they added the Pooh ride but that one kinda sucks. Recently they did it in the Shanghai and Tokyo Disneylands and it's basically mind blowing.

Here it is in the Tokyo Beauty and the Beast ride that opened less than a year ago. It should start at the correct time but if not FF to 4:27.

BOOM! So the Beast turns into the prince. Beast is Pepper's Ghost. Then they throw a bunch of lighting effects on it and slowly turn off the offstage lighting that creates the effect. As the same time they are doing that, they also raise the prince animatronic from under the stage so as soon as the Pepper's lighting is 100% off, the prince appears. Freaking cool! They can make one thing turn into another thing in front of our eyes.

I don't care if I can logically explain it. We all know the real reason it happens is because Walt Disney was somehow able to make our planet a place where magic is real and wholesome fantasies can live in our hearts. That shit inspires millions and once it infects you, it's wonderfully incurable.

And I know this sounds like a joke but it's not when I say I've watched that video through so many times I'm pretty sure I can now sing the vast majority of "Something There" in Japanese.

Last edited:
Reactions: Channel98

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Yay, fireworks are coming back very soon! And of course July is the perfect time. I'm assuming the first day back will be the 4th.

Reactions: Channel98