Android update

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Unfortunately with android, we're at the mercy of the phone companies to give us the updates for our phones. They load so much of their crap-ware, and they would rather make you buy a new phone than give you more than one (2 if you're lucky) updates.

Or a Google Play Edition phone. My S4 GPE had KitKat 4.4.2 right from the start.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Or a Google Play Edition phone. My S4 GPE had KitKat 4.4.2 right from the start.

That's cool. I just looked up those GPE phones. Seems they're GSM phones. Will be great if I decide to switch to at&t :)

My contract with Sprint go to Oct of this year. Might try the new sprint plan with my sister. Her & her husband also use sprint, but they don't care of the service, either, and have to stay until this august :(

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I'm waiting for my S4 to get kitkat too. Soon I hope. I hear the S5 will have it from the start. My wife is up for an upgrade. She gets my S4 and I'm going to get the S5.

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
I am waiting for the Galaxy Note 4 or Nexus 6 later this year.

As soon as my Sprint Contract is up in November, I am off to AT&T or T-Mobile.

Both have decent coverage in my area and AT&T's new 10GB for $130 plan makes me want to leave ASAP. If T-Mobile were cheaper than $120, I would JUMP over to them.

Decisions, Decisions....

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Both the Note 4 and Nexus 6 could drop in quarter 2 of this year. I'm getting ready for a new phone. The battery life will be a big factor for me. Hopefully they have some improvements here.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I am waiting for the Galaxy Note 4 or Nexus 6 later this year.

As soon as my Sprint Contract is up in November, I am off to AT&T or T-Mobile.

Both have decent coverage in my area and AT&T's new 10GB for $130 plan makes me want to leave ASAP. If T-Mobile were cheaper than $120, I would JUMP over to them.

Decisions, Decisions....

Rumors abound that Google is going to kill the Nexus line and just opt to continue offering up Google Editions from the various manufacturers. I find it hard to believe because the Nexus line has been more about pricing and pushing the others to adopt a more pure Android experience.

G5 and GN4 both sound like they are going to be beast! My one issue with Nexus phones and most everyone I know that owns one and reviews seem to indicate a real crappy camera experience. I use my phone a lot for pictures and while it took a bit to get use to the GN3 camera once I did it takes great pictures. Just not nearly as click and shoot as the iPhone, but takes just as good high quality pictures for a phone camera.

I just switched to the newer AT&T plan. I have my primary phone and a tablet for $125 per month with 10GB of data. Plus with the company discount my bill ends up being around $105 per month. Love being ale to share my data between my tablet and my phone now.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

You told me you were getting this phone. So tell us how you like it overall, what has your experience been like. Didn't you switch from and iPhone like myself?

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
Both the Note 4 and Nexus 6 could drop in quarter 2 of this year. I'm getting ready for a new phone. The battery life will be a big factor for me. Hopefully they have some improvements here.

There is no doubt the Note 4 will have tremendous battery life.

As long as you can deal with Touchwiz, Samsungs new KNOX bootloader (which makes rooting extremely difficult), all of that fabulous BLOAT and a HUGE PHONE in your pocket at all times, you will be just fine.

:)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
There is no doubt the Note 4 will have tremendous battery life.

As long as you can deal with Touchwiz, Samsungs new KNOX bootloader (which makes rooting extremely difficult), all of that fabulous BLOAT and a HUGE PHONE in your pocket at all times, you will be just fine.

:)

You really don't have to deal with Touchwiz, you can install a different launcher.. Nova Launcher has allowed me to remove 95% of the junk that AT&T and Samsung installed. Some if it will allow you to delete and what you can't delete you can hide and turn off so it doesn't take any resources other than a tad bit of storage.

I thought I would have a tough time getting use to the big Galaxy Note 3, but in reality I can't imagine going back to a smaller phone. This old mans eyes appreciates that big screen. LOL

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
Rumors abound that Google is going to kill the Nexus line and just opt to continue offering up Google Editions from the various manufacturers. I find it hard to believe because the Nexus line has been more about pricing and pushing the others to adopt a more pure Android experience.

G5 and GN4 both sound like they are going to be beast! My one issue with Nexus phones and most everyone I know that owns one and reviews seem to indicate a real crappy camera experience. I use my phone a lot for pictures and while it took a bit to get use to the GN3 camera once I did it takes great pictures. Just not nearly as click and shoot as the iPhone, but takes just as good high quality pictures for a phone camera.

I just switched to the newer AT&T plan. I have my primary phone and a tablet for $125 per month with 10GB of data. Plus with the company discount my bill ends up being around $105 per month. Love being ale to share my data between my tablet and my phone now.

I hope Google doesnt kill the nexus line of phones. They are good for flagship phones, especially at Google Play Store Pricing.

The downfall with the camera is well known, as is the poor battery life.

Not having a removable battery or SD Card Slot is almost a deal breaker for me.

I can live with a 64GB variant of a Nexus Phone, but not 32. Its too small to not have expandable storage.

The Note 4 will be an absolute beast. :buttrock:

Curved or bent 1080p display, probably an even bigger screen, more MP's in the camera, bigger battery and more s-pen and s-voice features will make it a worthy upgrade for me.

Your AT&T deal sounds good. I need to get with my employer to see if they offer a discount. I can live with 10GB per month between myself and my wifes phone.

Jimr

Apr 12, 2013

I find it hard to believe as well. The Nexus line has been about offering a top of the line phone in terms of performance and display while keeping the price low. It appears that they do this at the expense of the camera and the speakers. I say this because the speakers are always horrible (and getting worse with each new phone) and the cameras won't turn heads. The google edition phones are a great concept but the prices don't compare with the Nexus phones. I hope they do not discontinue the Nexus phones.

Andrew8468

Plans on freezing in the dark
Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
I'm not sure what type of phone you have but you can probably get a clean AOSP build for your phone, with Android 4.4.2.

I've got a basic Huawei something or other on an AT&T prepaid plan that gets used a couple times a year. The guy who rooted the phone from me explained what needed to be done and it sounded like way too much work.

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
I wish the Sprint Note 2 would get its Kit Kat Update.

I am hating 4.3 (MK4). Something happened with this update that causes random reboots, even without the KNOX bootloader.

Its annoying, especially when your call drops and you see "Samsung Galaxy Note II" on the screen.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
AT&T Note 3 uodated to KitKat last Thursday. Update went great and overall KitKat is nice. Some complaints about battery life but I have not seen it.

Send from Note 3 with Tapatalk HD

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
DAB I was looking at the Note 3 and I really fell in love with the screen size and the S Pen. I know you have had the phone for a while is the "real world". Is it really as fantastic as I have read and seen on Youtube?

I'm going to hold out for the Note 4 which should be here in 4 to 5 months. I have read nothing but great reviews of the Note 3. The only complaint I read was people that don't want a big phone.

Reactions: semipenguin