Concerts you have attended?

Discussion in 'Decades, Pop, Rock' started by Wolf, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

He's reaching John Popper territory (before the gastric bypass).

I saw them in 1991. I was skinnier then, too, and had more hair as well.

2. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

My top 5 favorites from the Smithereens, probably Blues Before and After, A Girl Like You, Too Much Passion, Only A Memory, and maybe House We Used to Live In, although that's subject to change.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

3. Bandwagon03

Bandwagon03 Well-Known Member

Agreed, the Smithereens were ALWAYS way underated..

Looking @ Casual's list, I remembered a few more:

Toad the Wet Sprocket
    10,000 Maniacs

4. Casual Fan

Blood and Roses was a cool song too.

5. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Adam Curry says the days of being a huge rock star are over. He said a good band can make a good living by touring but they aren't gonna make millions, on record sales or touring, any more. (I assume that would include hip-hop and pop stars as well).

6. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I don't remember who it was that I heard/read that was talking about it, but it was a famous musician that was being interviewed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

7. Casual Fan

Hasn't every act, since Day 1 of rock and roll, bitched about the record company making too much and the band making too little? I think Adam Curry is full of it.

8. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

I dunno - Adam is partially right. Labels are greedy, and the past business model made it easy for them to make a ton of money while still giving some artists big paydays. Today, the industry still wants to keep that business model - and their profits - which means that the parts going to the artist are going to get slimmer and slimmer.

How Big Music Companies Are Stealing Hundreds Of Millions In Royalties From Artists | Techdirt

RIAA Accounting: How To Sell 1 Million Albums And Still Owe $500,000 | Techdirt

Touring could probably still make a band a lot of money, though, if it's done correctly and smartly. That's the part that will need to be looked at - but it also might mean that some bands will never (or almost never) play some cities because the economics don't support it.

You don't see much call for chimney sweeps anymore, and our cheap, throw away gadget economy is killing the small independent repair shops. Huge changes in technology mean that huge - and often painful - changes are required. We're probably in for another decade of pain as things get settled and things sort themselves out.

9. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I also saw the group Toronto (in Regina, SK) in the early 80s.

Couldn't live with my list being incomplete.

10. wickerbill

wickerbill Active Member

Beach Boys - after a major league soccer game back in the 80's
    Depeche Mode - five times between 1993-2009
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Foo Fighters
    Ben Folds - twice
    Radiohead
    Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
    The Bravery
    Coldplay - twice
    U2 with Black Eyed Peas as opening act
    Black Eyed Peas at the super bowl halftime show
    Passion Pit
    Muse
    Arctic Monkeys
    Black Keys - Just saw them this past Saturday. Great show.

11. Manco

Manco Active Member

What's the worst concert you have seen? For me it was Journey, because the sound was too loud and my ears were ringing for a week after. It discouraged me from seeing another concert for several years.

12. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

That's what earplugs were made for :)

For me, it was The Cars way back when. Musically, it was mostly an OK show, but it was like watching a Disney Animatronic version of them... They weren't really that lifelike, and kinda boring after a while. Maybe it was just an off night for them, but it felt sorta like they were just going through the motions. The stage show they had didn't really add anything to make up for it, either.

13. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I take cotton or those foam earplugs now. Way too many loud concerts back in the day. My ears rang for a full week after the David Lee Roth show. I found the cotton actually improves the sound quality a bit.

14. Manco

Manco Active Member

I don't know if they even offered them back then at the venue and I was too young to know where I would even find some. My last concert was Rush, and they had stations for free earplugs which was a nice idea.

15. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

That's cool - I've kept a box of these around the house at all times since The Clash of the Titans tour back in 1991 when my ears rang for 3 days: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Please-Foam-Ear-Plugs/dp/B001FXRIHE/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1336058549&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Quiet! Please Foam Ear Plugs - 25 Pair Per Package: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

16. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

That's cool. I didn't know they did that.

I have a constant low level ringing all the time anymore. Too many loud concerts and wasted nights and weekends with my old garage/basement band in high school and college. Our motto was, "If you can't play good, play loud!" We played pretty loud. Our follow-up motto was, "If you think you are playing good, play louder!" We played louder anyway.

I don't think most concerts are as loud as they used to be in the 80's/90's, but they still leave my already farked up ears ringing. The cotton is usually enough that I don't have additional ringing after the show.

17. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

Haven't been to a Motörhead show lately have you? :D

18. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

No sir, but I'd love to see them.

19. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

20. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I know I won't be able to hit Mayhem or Rammstein. :(

But Ima have to look into Motorhead. The Mrs would LOVE it.
    We're getting tix for Van Halen in Toledo this weekend. The reviews have been great so far. :buttrock: