Fast Food Chains To Conquer America

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
What an innovative name!

1669929447240.png

I don't understand how any of this is going to help. People still have to make the food, and they still need to put together your order.

Where we used to live, they opened a Panera. So we ordered online, and I drove to pickup the order, but they didn't have a quick way to get the online order. I had to wait at the end of the drive-up line. And then when I got to the window, they said they were out of pita bread(!), and I had to make a new order. That was my last experience with them.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Where we used to live, they opened a Panera. So we ordered online, and I drove to pickup the order, but they didn't have a quick way to get the online order. I had to wait at the end of the drive-up line. And then when I got to the window, they said they were out of pita bread(!), and I had to make a new order. That was my last experience with them.
I like ordering a pizza from Uno's in Concord. You call. You park in a pickup parking spot. You call and say which spot you're in. Someone comes out with your stuff. You drive off.
For your amazement and amusement, here is the story of Taco Bell founder Glen Bell:

"your favorite Mexican-inspired restaurant"....? Not even close! Shorty's... Margaritas...

Reactions: scotchandcigar

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
In the barista's defense, I must point out that "monkey" is easier to spell than "uakari," "macaque" or "orangutan."

Black woman claims Starbucks barista wrote 'Monkey' on her drink, prompting the employee's suspension

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
In the barista's defense, I must point out that "monkey" is easier to spell than "uakari," "macaque" or "orangutan."

Black woman claims Starbucks barista wrote 'Monkey' on her drink, prompting the employee's suspension

If there's a name that a dyslexic person would spell as "Monkey", it's "Monique". So I just don't know.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
George and Ruth Culver, their son Craig and his ex-wife Lea opened their first restaurant in 1984 in Sauk City, Wisconsin. There are now 900 Culver's restaurants in 26 states – and many customers are outraged that the chain has replaced Pepsi products with Coca-Cola products. Really? Is there that big a difference between Coke and Pepsi?

Midwest burger chain Culver's is switching from Pepsi to Coca-Cola and fans are livid: 'Ruined my entire day'

• Haha

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
99% of the time my wife asks for just water. I'm just water about 70% of the time, otherwise it's lemonade or iced tea, almost never soda.
My older daughter stopped drinking carbonated beverages when she got braces as a kid, and then decided she shouldn't ever have it again. So she's the same as you.

Reactions: sadchild

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
My older daughter stopped drinking carbonated beverages when she got braces as a kid, and then decided she shouldn't ever have it again. So she's the same as you.
When I drove a vending route, I was having 3 or 4 sodas a day. Ruined my guts. When I took a desk job, I decided to limit myself to 2 12 oz cans a day. I stuck to it for months, then decided to make it 1. Then zero. Now I drink sodas flavored with stevia root. It's called Zevia.

zevia-food-and-beverage-default-title-zevia-soda-zero-calorie-cola-can-6-12-oz-case-of-4-29479420461191_1800x1800.jpg

Here are a couple excerpts from an interview with the guy who bought the company in its infancy years ago

Ben: Talk to me about concerns in terms of like the acids in soda and how you get past those type of concerns or if that is a concern.

Paddy: As you noted, soda in general and Zevia specifically is an acidic product. The acidity or the pH of the product is one of the ways that we keep the product preservative-free. So having carbonation in a can and having a somewhat acidic products allow us to not use preservatives and still have that state fresh.

Ben: So you guys actually don’t use phosphoric acid?

Paddy: That’s exactly right. Zevia doesn’t need phosphoric acid. If you have kidney disease you should never drink regular cola but you can drink Zevia cola. So that’s a big market for us and we have several thousand kidney patients and renal dieticians who we work with to help spread the word in that community.

Ben: Now I know that phosphoric acid is typically used as acidifying agent to give soda or to give cola like that nice tangy kind of flavor that you get from it. You guys just not have that flavor in Zevia, or do you use something else to replicate that flavor that acidity would normally give?

Paddy: Well, so phosphoric acid in addition to having challenges for kidney patients also has been shown to decrease bone density and thus went osteoporosis and so, we use tartaric acid which does not have a negative effect on bone density and so it does give our cola that little bit of bite that folks are looking for without some of the negative effects of phosphoric acid.

Ben: So you use tartaric acid instead of phosphoric acid?

Paddy: That’s exactly right.

Ben: The Reb-A [one of the sweetening compounds in stevia] gets metabolized into something called steviocide that gets broken down into glucose and steviol, and it looks like that glucose actually does not get absorbed into the bloodstream. It gets metabolized by the bacteria in the colon which is really interesting. I actually didn’t know that. So, basically what I’d like to see actually is the bacterial profile, the colonic bacterial profile of someone who had like a lot of stevia in their diet versus someone who didn’t because it appears that it just gets eaten up by the bacteria in the colon and then the steviol isn’t digested. I suppose that’s like a sugar alcohol and it gets excreted.

Paddy: Right.