Favorite Instrumentals

Any one of those instrumental songs from the 70s, especially the piano ones like that and "The Entertainer", are very nostalgic to me; because no one could walk by a piano in the high school band room without stopping to play it.
 
Mister scotch mentioned Apollo 100's early 1972 top-ten hit Joy, adapted from Johann Sebastian Bach's 1723 composition Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring. The Ventures, best known for Walk Don't Run, Perfidia, Sleigh Ride and Hawaii Five-O, released a version of Joy in December 1971, a month after the Apollo 100 song came out. Apollo 100's version credited Bach as the writer. The Ventures' version credited only the five members of the Ventures!

This got to #109 on Billboard's Bubbling Under chart in December 1971 and later appeared on the album Joy! The Ventures Play The Classics, released in March 1972.

 
The "rebel yells" and hand claps in Rebel Rouser – the song was originally titled Rabble Rouser – were done by the Sharps, a Los Angeles R&B quartet. They also sang background vocals on Jimmie Witherspoon's Sad Life and Thurston Harris's Little Bitty Pretty One. The Sharps would change their name to the Rivingtons and have a hit in 1962 with Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow.

Duane Eddy played Rebel Rouser on a 1985 Late Night With David Letterman – but nobody did rebel yells.

 
Other than sadchild listing one as one of his favorites, I did not think I seen these songs in this post:

"Frankenstein" Edgar Winter Group vs "Hocus Pocus" by Focus. Both released in America February 1973 and reached the top of the charts in my area. I thought it was an invasion of Instrumentals.


vs


I was going to post in the Halloween threadt but it is more fitting here
 
Other than sadchild listing one as one of his favorites, I did not think I seen these songs in this post:

"Frankenstein" Edgar Winter Group vs "Hocus Pocus" by Focus. Both released in America February 1973 and reached the top of the charts in my area. I thought it was an invasion of Instrumentals.


vs


I was going to post in the Halloween threadt but it is more fitting here

The hocus pocus video is in my first post. I also posted a live Frankenstein video, but I'm not sure if it's here or in Scotch sampler.
 
Frankenstein was one of 24 songs included on the Ventures' 1973 double album Only Hits! Among the others: Superstition, Dueling Banjos, Drift Away, Live & Let Die, Yesterday Once More, I Can See Clearly Now, Soul Makossa (which is misspelled Soul Makoosa on the cover), You Are The Sunshine Of My Life, The Cisco Kid, The Twelfth Of Never and The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia.

 
The Ventures formed in 1958 in Tacoma. The last original member died in 2022. The group is now guitarists Bob Spalding, his son Ian Spalding and Luke Griffin and drummer Leon Taylor. One of my favorite Ventures songs is their 1960 hit Perfidia. The song was written by Alberto Dominguez. Milton Leeds wrote English lyrics for it. Perfidia was originally a #3 hit for Xavier Cugat in March 1941. There were also hit versions that year by Jimmy Dorsey, Helen Forrest & The Benny Goodman Orchestra, Glenn Miller & The Modernaires and Gene Krupa. A version by the Four Aces reached #7 in May 1952.

 
I thought it was an invasion of Instrumentals.
There have been several weeks when three instrumentals were in the top ten, including the week ending April 25, 1942:

2. Jersey Bounce – Benny Goodman
6. A String Of Pearls – Glenn Miller
10. Sleepy Lagoon – Harry James

And the week ending September 12, 1953:

4. Oh! – Pee Wee Hunt
5. Dragnet – Ray Anthony
10. Ebb Tide – Frank Chacksfield

And the week ending August 3, 1968:

2. Classical Gas – Mason Williams
4. Grazing In The Grass – Hugh Masekela
8. The Horse – Cliff Nobles & Co.

The only week when the top three songs were instrumentals is the week ending January 23, 1961:

1. Wonderland By Night – Bert Kaempfert
2. Exodus – Ferrante & Teicher
3. Calcutta – Lawrence Welk

Floyd Cramer's Last Date was #17 and Louis Prima's version of Wonderland By Night was #19, down from a peak of #15 the previous week. Here is Bert Kaempfert's Wonderland By Night. The muted trumpet is played by Austrian-born session musician Charly Tabor.

 
The hocus pocus video is in my first post.
Was this your first video post on DRC?
There have been several weeks when three instrumentals were in the top ten, including the week ending April 25, 1942:

And the week ending August 3, 1968:

2. Classical Gas – Mason Williams
4. Grazing In The Grass – Hugh Masekela
8. The Horse – Cliff Nobles & Co.
I'm glad you mentioned "The Horse" Always played at the UW Band Hockey games. I think it would be more liked the "The Horse with No Name". That didn't seem to be too favorable in the Madness
 
Oops. Forgot to click the expand button. Sorry. I thought that was odd no one had not included it.
I think there was a thread about something else, and we got into a discussion about instrumentals, so someone decided to make this thread and I had to paste my stuff here.
 
Jesse James (real name: James McClelland), an R&B singer whose biggest hit was Don't Want Nobody To Get Married in 1970, wrote Love Is All Right. Cliff Nobles & Co. recorded the song in 1968 and it was released as a single – but DJs preferred the B-side, The Horse, which is Love Is All Right minus the vocals.



The song has been recorded by 17 other artists including Al Caiola, Willie Mitchell, Dexys Midnight Runners, the Ventures and Booker T. & The MG's. The only other artist to record a vocal version is the Foundations:

 
Back
Top Bottom