IdRatherBeSkiing's Top 20 (Sunday, June 21st, 2020 version)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Today a bonus. A top 6 from a Canadian group: Stonebolt.

This group put out 3 albums (that I know about):
  • Stonebolt (1978)
  • Keep It Alive (1979)
  • Juvenile American Princess (1982)

Success eluded them even in Canada. In the day the Canadian hits "I Will Still Love You" and "Was It You" got some airplay. They were solid hits up here. The remaining hits maybe got a week or 2 of airplay at least in Regina, SK. Just long enough fro me to hear them and like them. "I Will Still Love You" spent about a month or so on the AT40 in the fall of 1978 peaking on 1978/10/28 @ #29 before falling to #78 the next week. As far as I know this is their only USA Top 100 appearance.

I rediscovered them when my oldest daughter was wanting to digitize some of my LPs several years ago. I came across the Stonebolt LP and recognized the song titles and included the album "Stonebolt" in the albums she took. The other songs I have somewhere on 45 or LP but discovered them from my cassette find last year. I won't say publicly how I got the digital versions.

Yes, they are an obscure Canadian band which 99% of Canadians have completely forgotten about. I sometimes hear "I Will Still Love You" (maybe once a year). I am not surprised that @sadchild has never heard of them before. I just found it amusing that he had made the same comment to the same songs multiple times. This thread has multiple references to Stonebolt songs largely from my discovery of the cassettes and the acquisition of the digital copy of the "Stonebolt" album from my daughter.

Here are my top 6. I include the year so you can identify which album each is from. I have also included the videos for all (except for "Queen of the Night" which is on a post 5 up if you can't remember it.

6. Don't Ya Hide It *** (1979)

5. Singin' in the Streets *** (1978)

4. Outrun The Sun *** (1982)

3. Queen of the Night **** (1978)
2. Was It You **** (1978)

1. I Will Still Love You ***** (#237 on my 437) (1978)
An added bonus, the live version from the CBC.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
First time hearing
First time hearing
First time hearing
Second time hearing
Second time hearing
First time hearing

My new favorite band! Ask for them by name: The Rolling Stonebolts!

Reactions: HecticArt

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Regarding the Kenny Loggins song... I always wonder (aside from drugs) what made them come up with that crazy intro.
It works though and it's memorable.
There are lots of songs with strange intros. And stuff after the track. Most of these intros and trailers are dropped from the versions on the radio. I think you answered your own question as to why .... drugs. I often wonder what a sad place the world would be music wise without drugs. So many great artists and songs came about because the artist was wasting his or her life on drugs.

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It sounds like Beach Boys to me.

Again........Drugs

:drccares:
#DRCCares

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Today's ****

Skipping "White Christmas" as I have not been including Christmas music on my lists. So only 4 today.

White Hot - Tom Cochrane & Red Rider

Who Made Who - AC/DC

Who's Crying Now - Journey

Who's Your Daddy - Toby Keith

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Today a bonus. A top 6 from a Canadian group: Stonebolt.

This group put out 3 albums (that I know about):
  • Stonebolt (1978)
  • Keep It Alive (1979)
  • Juvenile American Princess (1982)

Success eluded them even in Canada. In the day the Canadian hits "I Will Still Love You" and "Was It You" got some airplay. They were solid hits up here. The remaining hits maybe got a week or 2 of airplay at least in Regina, SK. Just long enough fro me to hear them and like them. "I Will Still Love You" spent about a month or so on the AT40 in the fall of 1978 peaking on 1978/10/28 @ #29 before falling to #78 the next week. As far as I know this is their only USA Top 100 appearance.

I rediscovered them when my oldest daughter was wanting to digitize some of my LPs several years ago. I came across the Stonebolt LP and recognized the song titles and included the album "Stonebolt" in the albums she took. The other songs I have somewhere on 45 or LP but discovered them from my cassette find last year. I won't say publicly how I got the digital versions.

Yes, they are an obscure Canadian band which 99% of Canadians have completely forgotten about. I sometimes hear "I Will Still Love You" (maybe once a year). I am not surprised that @sadchild has never heard of them before. I just found it amusing that he had made the same comment to the same songs multiple times. This thread has multiple references to Stonebolt songs largely from my discovery of the cassettes and the acquisition of the digital copy of the "Stonebolt" album from my daughter.

Here are my top 6. I include the year so you can identify which album each is from. I have also included the videos for all (except for "Queen of the Night" which is on a post 5 up if you can't remember it.

An added bonus, the live version from the CBC.
I checked out the videos, and regarding your ratings for them...

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I checked out the videos, and regarding your ratings for them...
You identify as Lumbergh?

Personal opinion. I am not sure what I would think of them if I heard them for the first time today. So much of how we rate a lot of music is on how they made you feel or how you heard them when you first heard them. Of course other songs are likely classics regardless of when you hear them. I don't think Stonebolt is in that category for me but you never know as I can't unhear them.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
So much of how we rate a lot of music is on how they made you feel or how you heard them when you first heard them.
True dat. The songs on the cassingle for Prince "The Arms Of Orion" b/w "I Luv U In Me" hold a special place in my heart due to my personal memories connected to those songs. If I had no special memories associated with those songs, I'd probably think they were pretty lame - especially hearing them for the first time 30+ years after they came out.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Yesterday's ****

Wild Ones (Feeling Electric) - Nick Gilder

The Winner Takes It All - Abba

With a Little Luck - Wings

Woman - John Lennon

Wondering Where The Lions Are - Bruce Cockburn
His name is not pronounced like it is spelt. Too bad. It is funnier how it is spelt.