iOS 26

Well using my phone today at work, so much buggy. I decided to downgrade back to iOS 18.5 and almost turned my phone into a brick. Lucky, I got a quick appointment at an Apple store and were able to hard reboot which my MacBook couldn’t do it for some reason. They had so many reports of iPhone users using the iOS 26 beta software. My iPhone went back to the factory reset and everything is starting to go back to normal. I'm not downloading beta software ever again!
 
From iOS facebook group, the general advice is don't do beta on your primary device. It's beta for a reason.
 
Years ago, I did beta on my primary phone and had no issues. Though maybe I wouldn't have this issue again. Plus, I want to upgrade my phone at the end of the year with this new proposed redesigned iPhone. But with so many buggy issues I had yesterday, I couldn't live the rest of the year with that issue. Probably I use my phone more than I did a few years ago, by watching videos, apple pay and certain other apps.
 
I have iOS 26 on my iPad (not my primary device) and was hesitant to install it on my phone. I'll just wait for the official release.

Having said all that, it is pretty frickin' cool. I'm liking the new UI and it's way snappier than before.
 
My phone is still on 18.7. I noticed that iOS26 only supports connections to Apple Watch Series 6 or later. Of course my current watch is Series 5. So I am upgrading to a Series 11. Arrives on Tuesday.

Of course after I order it, I spoke to a co-worker. He has upgraded his iPhone13 to iOS26 and it is still talking to his Apple Watch Series 4. So it looks like the issue may be in pairing. However, he bought an iPhone17 which he is picking up Saturday so he may have to buy a new watch as well.
 
I would like to upgrade my iPhone 15 Pro Max to the Orange iPhone 17 Pro Max sometime soon. Need to finish paying off our old device sometime soon. My partner and are fed up with AT&T and wants to leave and either go to Verizon or T-Mobile.
 
I don't want to start a new thread, so I'm putting this here. I've been seeing ads for the "revolutionary" new iPhone 18 Pro, with a variable aperture camera lens. My first thought was "haven't all cameras always had that?". After all, the detailed info for every phone picture I've ever taken lists the f-stop, and it's not always the same. So I looked into it.

It turns out that most phone cameras use a fixed aperture. Some of the Samsung models I've owned had a couple of lenses with different apertures, but the variation was small. Of course, real cameras (such as DSLRs) have a large aperture range, typically from f/1.8 to f/22. The low number is for low-light pictures (the figure is actually an inverse, so 1.8 is really the larger value of 1/1.8, and 22 is the smaller value of 1/22), while the high number is for a long "in-focus" range (depth of field). But according to this article...


it's mostly a marketing gimmick. That's because real cameras have large sensors (36 x 24 mm), while phone cameras have tiny sensors (6 x 4 mm). What that means regarding apertures, is that even at the largest opening of f/1.8 (or f/1.5 in the case of the iPhone 18 Pro), the in-focus range is still high. So then there's no need for smaller apertures. In fact, the 18 Pro only goes up to f/4 (while real cameras go to f/22). The variability is small, and pointless.

But you might be wondering, what about the portrait mode, where the background is blurry? Because of the small sensors, phone cameras can't do that via the lens. But it can do it with software, which is what most phone cameras use. Then I guess it's no surprise that a flagship phone is using dubious technology for marketing purposes.
 
Back
Top Bottom