Let's Talk About Animals

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I've heard that the tail of an animal is an extension of the spine. Like extra vertebrae or whatnot. But if an animal tail breaks they don't become cripple like if it's the spine of a man. So what am I missing here in my thought process?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I've heard that the tail of an animal is an extension of the spine. Like extra vertebrae or whatnot. But if an animal tail breaks they don't become cripple like if it's the spine of a man. So what am I missing here in my thought process?
The tail nerves only cover what is in the tail. If you break your back, you lose control of everything beyond the break. The lower the break the less impact. The last 4 vertebrae on the human spine are useless and sometimes called the tail bone. Leftover from our earlier mammal days.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
For once I have a post about local wildlife that's not a joke.

On that paved trail by the canal I was talking about in the bike thread I saw a cute little owl! Now I'm pretty sure this is a breed of owls and it wasn't a baby. Years ago at my dad's place I saw one of these little guys, but that was at night. Whatever, it was super cute.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Did he have glasses and a Tootsie Pop?

Every once and a while we’ll see owls in our yard. A few years ago, there was an owl and her 2 baby owls in one of our trees. That was pretty cool.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I'm not going to watch it, but everything about that is gross.

I can almost sympathize for poachers sometimes since they are usually native born peoples who often do it because they are so poor they will do anything to feed their families (and yes, I know this certainly isn't true of all poachers) but trophy hunting is disgusting. While I would never do it, I can also understand people deer hunting for food. Shit, a deer can feed a family for weeks.

And yes, I'm a hypocrite since I eat chicken and beef regularly. I'm trying to draw the line at pig because pigs can be trained and kept as pets, but I even screw up there a lot of the time w/pepperoni on my pizza.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'm not going to watch it, but everything about that is gross.

I can almost sympathize for poachers sometimes since they are usually native born peoples who often do it because they are so poor they will do anything to feed their families (and yes, I know this certainly isn't true of all poachers) but trophy hunting is disgusting. While I would never do it, I can also understand people deer hunting for food. Shit, a deer can feed a family for weeks.

And yes, I'm a hypocrite since I eat chicken and beef regularly. I'm trying to draw the line at pig because pigs can be trained and kept as pets, but I even screw up there a lot of the time w/pepperoni on my pizza.
mmmmm bacon.

Cows, pigs and chickens are farmed for your eating pleasure. Nobody is poaching wild cows for your steak.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
But they don’t take 6 shots to kill a chicken, then hang it’s beak on their wall, and leave the meat to rot in the sun.
If you kill it, don’t be cruel, be responsible, eat it, and don’t be wasteful.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I like animals, but I enjoy beef, pork, and chicken.

And for a guy who enjoys pounds of boiled seafood, I don't know if I have it in me to put a live lobster in the boiling water. I just can't..

But if the lobster is frozen, or if the restaurant does it, now that's a different story.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I like animals, but I enjoy beef, pork, and chicken.

And for a guy who enjoys pounds of boiled seafood, I don't know if I have it in me to put a live lobster in the boiling water. I just can't..

But if the lobster is frozen, or if the restaurant does it, now that's a different story.
What about crawfish?