Local News

Sort of like State Highway 58 in Colorado to and from the Coors Brewery in Golden with the occasional overturned beer truck. There's a certain curve they always seem to miss.
Well yes, except I'm not aware of a curve on Rt. 95, nor is there a curly fry factory anywhere in the area; although Maine is #2 in potatoes, so it could have come from elsewhere in the state.
 
...and the streaker's name is Shawn Weiner. The jokes just write themselves here. :D

Yeah right? That's just what I was thinking. Of course he's going to run around with his dick out. He's embarrassed that his name is spelled the wrong way and not Sean like God intended.
 
He's embarrassed that his name is spelled the wrong way and not Sean like God intended.
That comment reminds me of a story I have to share (probably for the 2nd time). Back about a dozen years ago I took-on a rotating role as the department hiring manager at work. I'm sure I've covered this somewhere in these threads. Anyway, back then, we had to categorize candidates who represented URGs (under-represented groups).

There was a candidate who's first name was Sean, and I googled the person's entire name to see if it was a male or female. Well, my google search turned up a lot more info. It was a guy who got into trouble at college (Northeastern U), and I found stories about him getting caught stealing a necklace, and then tampering with a witness for the jury during the trial. He got expelled before graduating, and eventually got a job working as an IT person at my company. But now he was applying for a job as a level-2 engineer, and his resume said he graduated from Northeastern with an engineering degree. So we certainly did not invite him for an interview, and I notified HR about the situation. I didn't hear about any follow-up, but the guy was definitely trying to scam us.
 
I think we've officially become a frou-frou town. I just got our resident parking sticker for this year. This was the one from last year:

1744034970897.webp

And here is the new one:

1744035058964.webp

It's certainly more pleasant.
 
They omitted the year. Are they permanent now?
They also omitted the need to show the license number (which I smeared-out in the older pic). I know that the parking cops have handheld devices, so I figure that they just look-up the registration # on the sticker. But that's a good question about renewing. Technically, they should be able to treat it like car registration, and have it come up as "expired" if you haven't paid for renewal, rather than having to issue new stickers every year.

OTOH, with 4 digits, they can only handle 10,000 people, which is probably adequate for one year, but wouldn't work if they kept getting new requests every year. There are less than 10k year-round residents, but about 25k in the summer.
 
They also omitted the need to show the license number (which I smeared-out in the older pic). I know that the parking cops have handheld devices, so I figure that they just look-up the registration # on the sticker. But that's a good question about renewing. Technically, they should be able to treat it like car registration, and have it come up as "expired" if you haven't paid for renewal, rather than having to issue new stickers every year.

OTOH, with 4 digits, they can only handle 10,000 people, which is probably adequate for one year, but wouldn't work if they kept getting new requests every year. There are less than 10k year-round residents, but about 25k in the summer.
In Ontario, they got rid of the need to get stickers every year and any renewal fees. You just have to fill out an online form and you are legal without any sticker. The cops can check any plate number to verify its current.
 
In Ontario, they got rid of the need to get stickers every year and any renewal fees. You just have to fill out an online form and you are legal without any sticker. The cops can check any plate number to verify its current.
That brings up an interesting point. The whole purpose of these stickers is for the "bike police" to be able to quickly scan the parking lot, and then move along. So having to look-up every number wouldn't work. Therefore, I'm guessing that the design or color will change each year.
 
That brings up an interesting point. The whole purpose of these stickers is for the "bike police" to be able to quickly scan the parking lot, and then move along. So having to look-up every number wouldn't work. Therefore, I'm guessing that the design or color will change each year.
For yours? Likely. Back when I was a wee tike in SK, they replaced the whole plate each year. Each year the colour scheme was different. Then they switched to a more pretty design with stickers.
 
Rule #1 about York Parking Club: You do not indicate you are in the York Parking Club.

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg
 
The plate scanners on the cop cars are pretty much instant.
I understand that, but they have to patrol many hundreds of parked cars at 3 different beach parking locations; with one being a mile and a half long. So they're not going to individually scan like a thousand cars, one at a time. They want to be able to ride past the parked cars, and only stop if there is no sticker, or what appears to be an invalid sticker. That's why they have rules on specifically where the sticker has to be displayed.
 
The cars that scan plates in parking lots don't need to stop.
They roll through at about 5 MPH and the computer does the rest off of the plates alone.
That's why I figure that the bike patrols only stop to check a plate if they don't see a sticker.
 
Back
Top Bottom