Military Stuff

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by JHDK, Dec 7, 2016.

1. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

that's something obama got right about them. he has some quote about how he had nothing but bad options when dealing with syria.

2. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

pop quiz! who said this earlier today:

“I really believe we should have and still should take out his air fields and prevent him from being able to use them to bomb innocent people and drop sarin gas on them.”

3. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Ms. Clinton

JHDK likes this.
  4. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Obama asked Congress for approval to attack Assad in August of 2013. The Senate probably would have approved, the House Republicans were opposed. The approval bill never got a vote because Assad agreed to destroy his chemical weapons.

Russia is Assad's ally, which makes this whole thing confusing. Why would Assad use chemical weapons now that he has Russia openly supporting him and Trump willing to let him stay in power?

5. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

You're implying I said something different than what I said. He directed airstrikes in Libya. And through a monitoring program with Russia, there was a dismantling of Syrian chemical weapons. That doesn't dispute a Syrian/ Russian alliance.

6. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Europeans jack it up, we have to go in and fix it

7. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

8. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

you're right. i misread your original post where you clearly said libya.

9. scotchandcigar

Donald J. Trump
    ✔@realDonaldTrump
    Let the Arab League take care of Syria. Why are these rich Arab countries not paying us for the tremendous cost of such an attack?
    8:25 AM - 29 Aug 2013

Donald J. Trump
    ✔@realDonaldTrump
    The President must get Congressional approval before attacking Syria-big mistake if he does not!
    7:02 PM - 30 Aug 2013

Donald J. Trump
    ✔@realDonaldTrump
    AGAIN, TO OUR VERY FOOLISH LEADER, DO NOT ATTACK SYRIA - IF YOU DO MANY VERY BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN & FROM THAT FIGHT THE U.S. GETS NOTHING!
    9:20 AM - 5 Sep 2013

Donald J. Trump
    ✔@realDonaldTrump
    President Obama, do not attack Syria. There is no upside and tremendous downside. Save your "powder" for another (and more important) day!
    9:21 AM - 7 Sep 2013

memebag likes this.
  10. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

so are you saying that it is wrong for someone to change an opinion after 4 years?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  11. scotchandcigar

Really? You're gonna play naive? As someone who was not responsible for anything, he (Trump) was free to publicly knee-jerk oppose everything the current president did. It had nothing to do with what his personal beliefs were.
    Her opinion never changed, only her assessment of whether the country was ready to support it.

12. scotchandcigar

Let me ask you this: for all of his life, Trump has been pro-choice, because that's what he really believes. So would you say his current stance is a change of opinion? Of course not, he's just saying what his supporters want to hear.

13. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

we're going to get in trouble. please don't close my military thread!

so trump was wrong when he tweeted 4 years ago and he's also wrong now? it sounds like you just want to dislike him him no matter what he does.

and he has not only said he's opposed to abortion, he's already acted on it with that overseas funding stuff. (side note, i don't really care about abortion one way or the other. i'm pro choice but i think it should just be up to the broads to decide.)

that's a leap. even if she said that how can you possibly believe it? she said, "I believe marriage is not just a bond but a sacred bond between a man and a woman." so either that was a lie because 'the nation wasn't ready' or she's lying now with her new stance. or she simply changed her mind. my point is, i don't fault people for changing their mind. i thought the flip flop thing with kerry was silly and i still think it's silly now.

14. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Don't bring Hillary Clinton into the Military Stuff thread if you don't want to make it political.

I don't care what Hillary says or said. What Trump said in the past vs what he says now is only interesting because he won the election. If he had lost I could go back to not caring.

I don't like Presidents taking military action without Congressional approval. I bet Trump could get it if he asked. I'm not that upset that he didn't. I just don't like seeing the executive branch have that much power. It isn't the way it was designed to work.

None of this makes any sense, though. Why would Assad use chemical weapons now? How can that benefit his position?

semipenguin, scotchandcigar and JHDK like this.
  15. scotchandcigar

I don't want to get this thread shut-down either. I want to clarify what I said in the most civil way possible.

I never said the stuff in bold. This will be the 3rd time I'm making this point: people's opinions don't change. We're not talking about one's beliefs as a kid as opposed to adulthood. We're talking about fully mature adults.

People only give their honest opinion when there is no motivation to do otherwise. When Howard Stern asks an actor for the names of people they disliked working with, they rarely answer. Is that because they never disliked another actor? Or is it because it would be detrimental to be honest?

That's all I can say without getting into trouble.

16. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

ok, good...i think we are moving away from specific politics now so i hopefully we are safe.

i think opinions do change. now this example can't be any more anecdotal but with the exception of a few issues, my opinions have drastically changed from 2012 to now. so much so it's even been surprising to me. and while i'm no shining example of maturity, i certainly wasn't a child at 29 nor am i now at 33. i consider myself a solidly average american and because of that i very much doubt this has only ever happened to me. that's why i struggle to understand why you are so fervent about opinions never changing.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  17. scotchandcigar

People can experience life-altering events, or epiphanies, or get exposed to a situation that changes their thinking. Priorities may change as they age.

But we're not talking about that. We're talking about politicians changing their public stance on an issue, where there's no evidence of any of the above, but overwhelming evidence of a political motive. See the difference?

18. scotchandcigar

Yes, and in discussing some of those, there seems to be evidence that the changes of opinion are fueled by some sort of misconceptions. I'd search for examples, but I don't have the time right now.

19. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

I don't think he thought Trump was concerned about him. And besides, there's not really a "now" to this debacle...Assad has never stopped using chemical weapons, or banned conventional weapons. This most recent incident just happened to get Trump's attention.

It was really an easy thing--you tell the Russians you're coming. The Russians tell the Syrians. All the good shit is moved. Missiles are launched. The Russians, who have some of the most advanced air defense systems in the world in Syria, don't shoot them down. Some stuff is blown up. Trump is happy. Syria and Russia feign outrage. The world goes on.

20. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

All this shows as well (in case Trump's cabinet didn't convince you) that Trump is the insider's insider. He's a man-baby but he's not going to be any different politically than the parade of internationalists before him.

After Syria strike, populist supporters abandon Trump at home and abroad - CNNPolitics.com

Trump doesn't want to be isolationist. He wants to be interventionist. He just has it in his head that he can do it better than Obama or Hillary. He thinks everything is a "deal," a game that he can win just because he's the one playing it.