Mom/Dad of the Year Awards

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
IDK, I thought about putting this in the guilty/not guilty thread cause she looks like she could probably clean up pretty well but those face/neck tattoos are unforgivable.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
These two kooks are finally going to trial for (among other things) killing her 2 kids and going off to Hawaii to get married, while telling everyone the kids were fine.

It's getting worse for her

• Wow
Reactions: sadchild

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
run away to hawaii? why not run to a non-extradition country like france?

also just overall fuck france. have they ever done anything good for the world? maybe that environmental treaty.

columbus was from spain right?

oh, they got rid of their kings, so i guess that's good. french revolution...they stormed the castle and killed that let them eat cake lady and her associates.

who is their current president? that dude with the old wife who was his teacher? is he any good?...just looked it up, marcon.

well this post was certainly a stream of consciousness. thanks for humoring me.

Last edited:

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
hey gave us the Statue of Liberty

good call, forgot abt that. but that was like a diplomatic thing...kinda casue they were scared of us. no way they shipped it over in once piece right? so we still had our people put it together.

fun fact, ive been there...its a whole bunch of spiral steps to get to the crown. hendrik walked it with me when he was like 68, that must have been annoying. i was like 12 and it wasnt all that fun. and it was super cold out. i think back in the day (like even my moms time) you could go into the torch.

Also they have a really cool model of it in the american experience in epcot. animatronic ben franklin and mark twain walk you through more or less all the highlights...and some lowlights of american history in like 25 minutes. then they wind up in the statue's torch in the end. it has made me get misty as an adult more than once...maybe cause of the show or maybe cause i used to do it with my mom and dad as a boy. probably a mix of both.

did they help pay for the revolution? i know the netherlands did...learned that from HBO john adams. he had to go over there and kinda beg for gilders. i think it was like their supreme court and when they heard his ask they laughed cause it was way less than they were expecting. if that's to be believed, he got really sick over there too.

dude, i dont want to go to europe now, imagine taking like a raggedy wood sailboat there for a week on the sea.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotchandcigar

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
They gave us the Statue of Liberty, great food, wine, and words with silent letters. And grand prix racing. And LeMans. And french dip. And french toast. And freedom fries.
And they gave us mimes. So that cancels out everything else!
no way they shipped it over in once piece right? so we still had our people put it together.
So they didn’t give us a gift, they gave us a project…….. Merci pour rien!

• Haha
Reactions: JHDK

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
This is actually very interesting, and concerning...

Eiffel opted not to use a completely rigid structure, which would force stresses to accumulate in the skin and lead eventually to cracking. A secondary skeleton was attached to the center pylon, then, to enable the statue to move slightly in the winds of New York Harbor and as the metal expanded on hot summer days, he loosely connected the support structure to the skin using flat iron bars which culminated in a mesh of metal straps, known as "saddles", that were riveted to the skin, providing firm support. In a labor-intensive process, each saddle had to be crafted individually. To prevent galvanic corrosion between the copper skin and the iron support structure, Eiffel insulated the skin with asbestos impregnated with shellac.

Eiffel's design made the statue one of the earliest examples of curtain wall construction, in which the exterior of the structure is not load bearing, but is instead supported by an interior framework. The change in structural material from masonry to iron allowed Bartholdi to change his plans for the statue's assembly. He had originally expected to assemble the skin on-site as the masonry pier was built; instead, he decided to build the statue in France and have it disassembled and transported to the United States for reassembly in place on Bedloe's Island.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule

Eiffel opted not to use a completely rigid structure, which would force stresses to accumulate in the skin and lead eventually to cracking. A secondary skeleton was attached to the center pylon, then, to enable the statue to move slightly in the winds of New York Harbor and as the metal expanded on hot summer days, he loosely connected the support structure to the skin using flat iron bars which culminated in a mesh of metal straps, known as "saddles", that were riveted to the skin, providing firm support. In a labor-intensive process, each saddle had to be crafted individually. To prevent galvanic corrosion between the copper skin and the iron support structure, Eiffel insulated the skin with asbestos impregnated with shellac.

Eiffel's design made the statue one of the earliest examples of curtain wall construction, in which the exterior of the structure is not load bearing, but is instead supported by an interior framework. The change in structural material from masonry to iron allowed Bartholdi to change his plans for the statue's assembly. He had originally expected to assemble the skin on-site as the masonry pier was built; instead, he decided to build the statue in France and have it disassembled and transported to the United States for reassembly in place on Bedloe's Island.

tldr

also not sure what this means? so statue talk or something?

am i dumb? i look at fox and cnn and huffpo everyday...i kinda wanna be like half smart.

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

That was one of the things we learned at nerd school. I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds it interesting.

I'm sure they took care of the asbestos when they did the major restoration several years ago.
do normal language bro.

am i dumb?
If ya have to ask.......

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Eiffel insulated the skin with asbestos impregnated with shellac.
So when you are standing inside in the never ending line to the top baking in the New York heat, you are not only losing sweat, you are getting exposed to asbestos too. They should charge extra for that.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
So when you are standing inside in the never ending line to the top baking in the New York heat, you are not only losing sweat, you are getting exposed to asbestos too. They should charge extra for that.
Only if it becomes airborne. All by itself, undisturbed, it’s harmless.
Of course, the copper skin was designed to move independently from the iron frame, so some of the asbestos was probably getting rubbed off and becoming airborne……

I’m sure they removed it when they did the major renovation back in the 80s.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Only if it becomes airborne. All by itself, undisturbed, it’s harmless.
Of course, the copper skin was designed to move independently from the iron frame, so some of the asbestos was probably getting rubbed off and becoming airborne……

I’m sure they removed it when they did the major renovation back in the 80s.
Maybe they added extra.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Coleman took the two children to Mexico without telling anyone where he was going. When Abby noticed the kids were missing, she "alerted authorities." My heart breaks for her.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Sadly, I was expecting something like this

California man allegedly confesses to killing his children, refers to QAnon and Illuminati conspiracy theories​