Snow Leopard Update Kills Hackintoshes

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Id get at least one for one of my two netbooks. -but apparently jobs says im i the "zone of suck"? WTF is that BS?

No, the image author said that. Jobs just agrees with him :)

You and the cadre of Netbook nerds don't make up enough of a market for Steve to cater to you. Not sure why people get in a rage over that.

Lets not wax to poetic on apple profits, a lot of it came from charging customers ransom on their drm'ed songs and skimming royalties from music artists, not to mention a huge anti competitive deal with att.

Like the iPhone deal is unique in the cellphone market in the US? Can I get a Palm Pre with Verizon? Can I get a Hero with T-Mobile? Lets not pretend Apple is playing by different rules than anyone else here.

As for skimming royalties from artists, record companies have been doing it for decades. The DRM was their idea, not Apple's. I don't consider $9.99 for the average album a ransom when stores still routinely charge up to $16.99 for a CD. And on the plus side, I can hear parts of every song and choose not to buy the crappy ones if I like. Can't return the CD to the store if it's mostly crap.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
A computer is a lifestyle experience? Its a box on my desk (a cheaper box on my desk at that). So is Apple selling hardware or a 'dream'? If Apple was a religion I would say it was a cult. Some cult members are being asked to drink the kool aid here.

Apple sells a lifestyle. Look at their ads. They don't say much about what an Apple product does, or why its better than the competition. Instead, they show how pleasant, cool and fun it is to be an Apple user. PC users are older, frumpier, fatter and frustrated with their lives. Apple users are hip and happy.

That doesn't mean everyone who uses an Apple product believes the ads, but it is how Apple increases market share.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
You and the cadre of Netbook nerds don't make up enough of a market for Steve to cater to you. Not sure why people get in a rage over that.

You seem to have a hatred for netbooks. Why is that?

The truth is that netbooks are the fastest growing segment of the PC market for 2008 and 2009.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
You seem to have a hatred for netbooks. Why is that?

The truth is that netbooks are the fastest growing segment of the PC market for 2008 and 2009.

It's not a hatred for Netbooks. It's an irritation for people who buy a product for some purpose, but then want to use it for some other purpose that the manufacturer didn't intend. And when they can't, or have trouble doing so, go into a rage that Steve Jobs (or whoever it may be) is "screwing us again!!!"

That, and it's fun to tweak their proponents, just like they like to tweak Apple nerds.

Hell, I'm probably going to try to snag one during holiday sales. :)

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal

He obviously is threatened enough to intentionally kill off any use of the atom.

Like the iPhone deal is unique in the cellphone market in the US? Can I get a Palm Pre with Verizon? Can I get a Hero with T-Mobile? Lets not pretend Apple is playing by different rules than anyone else here.

As for skimming royalties from artists, record companies have been doing it for decades. The DRM was their idea, not Apple's. I don't consider $9.99 for the average album a ransom when stores still routinely charge up to $16.99 for a CD. And on the plus side, I can hear parts of every song and choose not to buy the crappy ones if I like. Can't return the CD to the store if it's mostly crap.
I never said it was only apple that does this.. Saying that apples choice to intentionally snub anyone between a macbook and an ipod by quoting their entire profit margins from phones and songs is silly.

-If only apple had flexed it muscle on DRM like it is on netbooks, instead of embracing it...

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
It's an irritation for people who buy a product for some purpose, but then want to use it for some other purpose that the manufacturer didn't intend.

So I cant buy a kiddie pool at walmart and have a bikini split pea soup wresting competition in it?

:D

Well I guess i gotta take my SPWM (split-pea-wrestle-mania) on the road to Europe for 2010. At least in the EU you can use the product you buy however you want, so long as no crimes are committed of course. now thats a free market.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Apple sells a lifestyle. Look at their ads. They don't say much about what an Apple product does, or why its better than the competition. Instead, they show how pleasant, cool and fun it is to be an Apple user. PC users are older, frumpier, fatter and frustrated with their lives. Apple users are hip and happy.

That doesn't mean everyone who uses an Apple product believes the ads, but it is how Apple increases market share.

You are exactly right that is what they do. It is amazing how effective that has been in selling Mac's. They basically do the same with iPhones and iPod too. You'll never see them compare stats or even give you the stats of their computers or devices. Just a cool reason why you may want one.

I have personally never bought into their marketing, but do find their computers and phones work well for me. Do they work any better than others, in the case of computers, I'd say they are about the same. In the case of phones, I've never had one that I am more happy with, but then I've not had very many others to compare, nor do I have any desire to do so.

Thats a fact, but I still have no desire to put OS X on it, I do like it with Windows 7 though. Runs GREAT! However, I do see Apples point in avoiding this segment, because the profit margins are so very, very low and the machines don't provide a very good experience, especially when folks get them and then try to use them for more than they are designed.

It's an irritation for people who buy a product for some purpose, but then want to use it for some other purpose that the manufacturer didn't intend. And when they can't, or have trouble doing so, go into a rage that Steve Jobs (or whoever it may be) is "screwing us again!!!"

I have a Samsung N120 and it is a great little netbook, has a 97% keyboard and beautiful 10" LED display. 7 Plus hours of battery life, but it certainly has it limitations. I agree that many buy these then want them to be more than they are. I also think your point is well taken about folks based purely on their on principles that Steve Jobs is the devil, because they can't run an OS that was never designed to be run on a netbook to begin with.

However, with all that said, I don't think Steve should care about such things and they are too protective, none the less they have that right! I also think PROFIT is the key for Apple and they don't give two shits what others think about their business practices as long as they are continue to make bucks. Also they don't care what people think about DRM and from what sector their profits arise. Steve has one job, make money for his stock holders and that is what he does best, all that other stuff you can rest assured stock holders and board members don't care about.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Just a little Off topic:

For a company as "cool" and "trendy" as Apple is, can't they come up with a hipper name than "snow leapord" as their operating system.

I mean, come on Apple---that name is lame.

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
Just a little Off topic:

For a company as "cool" and "trendy" as Apple is, can't they come up with a hipper name than "snow leapord" as their operating system.

osa-the-snow-leopard.jpg

"Don't piss me off!"

:D :p

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Just a little Off topic:

s320x240

Brrr! I wonderz why jobz fergetzz how he gotza startted outs az eh hackorz?

In the autumn of 1974, Jobs returned to California and began attending meetings of the "Homebrew Computer Club" with Steve Wozniak. He took a job at Atari, a manufacturer of popular video games, as a technician. During this time, it was discovered that a slightly modified toy whistle included in every box of Cap'n Crunch breakfast cereal was able to reproduce the 2600 Hz supervision tone used by the AT&T long distance telephone system. Jobs and Wozniak went into business briefly in 1974 to build "blue boxes" based on the idea that allowed for free long distance calls.

captain crunch should sue apple for his wistle being used in such a novel and unintended way. Do you think jobs gave the captain a cut? -Not.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Apple back peddles on atoms. or was it only a market test?

Who knows, maybe Jobs has seen the light and will start embracing his long lost hacking roots?

Apple apparently was going to stop supporting the Atom processor, which basically meant that turning your PC into, well, a Mac would become impossible. It probably made more than a few people let out blood curdling screams or salty tears of sadness.

What's more, there doesn't appear to be any explanation for the switch-a-roo from Apple which, as Electronista notes, could indicate that it was simply a bug or a temporary measure -- although it does of course also mean that Apple can just as easily flip the switch again if it sees fit (which seems like at least a 50 / 50 shot).

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Apple back peddles on atoms. or was it only a market test?

Who knows, maybe Jobs has seen the light and will start embracing his long lost hacking roots?

It was a marketting test. They floated an idea --- probably made sure it was leaked to the proper channels -- and measured the reaction, made notes and then retracted it. Companies and govts do it all the time. Apple is will never be a 'hacking' company again. Too much $$$$ involved. They are big business just like MicroSoft. Of course that is not the image they sell.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
CONSPIRACY!!!! Where's my tinfoil hat....

Perhaps a coder accidentally added a comment? We'll never know! But it sure keeps people guessing and talking about Apple :)

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Just a little Off topic:

They should call it "Pit Viper". that is a cool ass name.