Foodies

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Have 3 heart attacks (as far as the doctors know), and you'll have a good excuse to reduce red meats. That being said, I'm neither the chef or the shopper in the house. There have been times that I would've pursued some sort of meatless or pescatarian diet - if I was on my own. But I'm not. Mrs. Scotch is an excellent cook, and she puts a lot of effort into giving us good, healthy, balanced, tasty meals. So I'm not going to be an asshole and say "make me this or that", especially when it's so hard to make a variety of meatless or fish dishes.

But she's on-board with the healthy eating thing. And she's often the one that pushes me to be healthy. So we've cut down on red meat, and have more fish and turkey. We don't have many meatless meals, because we both need protein, and she's not into tofu and the like. We've also cut way back on salty foods and snacks. And she uses more healthy cooking oils, and less butter and fat.

About half of the burgers I have are turkey, but I never have veggie (sorry - "plant-based") burgers.

Reactions: HecticArt

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
It hurts my heart that I know what that word means.

pescatarian

But she's on-board with the healthy eating thing.

That's awesome! I wish I had some pretty lady who also cooked cool shit for me. I spend most of my life eating like baby carrots dipped in spicy hummus...that is food my food is supposed to eat. I only eat it because I don't want to be a fatass.

But if I'm out or at the grocery store sometimes I want some ground beef or a steak. It's not necessarily a manly thing, just a human being thing.

But on the manly scale, if you want your steak anything above medium, you're not really a man. My uncle ordered it well and uhh...I love him, he spent his life as a fireman and fire chief but he's been retired for a few years so I guess he forgot he is male? I couldn't say anything but come on, I wanted to call his men to set him straight.

Have 3 heart attacks (as far as the doctors know),

Also dude, come on, a heart attack in your 50's is more or less just reupping your muscularity. Boom, F u heart. I've spent 50 years eating like a man you ain't gonna stop me now. Fix me doctor and let me get back to it.

And sorry for all the hospital shit you dealt with but you get my point.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Also dude, come on, a heart attack in your 50's is more or less just reupping your muscularity. Boom, F u heart. I've spent 50 years eating like a man you ain't gonna stop me now. Fix me doctor and let me get back to it.
For better or worse, it's nearly 100% genetic. I see manly men all the time, with their fat beer guts, who are older than me, and they eat nothing but red meat, and they drink, and chain-smoke cigars. But I can't do that. I wish I didn't have to be super-conscious about everything, but I do.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
For better or worse, it's nearly 100% genetic. I see manly men all the time, with their fat beer guts, who are older than me, and they eat nothing but red meat, and they drink, and chain-smoke cigars. But I can't do that. I wish I didn't have to be super-conscious about everything, but I do.

Alright ok, ok...I respect what you're saying.

But come on, you ain't even like 20 years older than I right? Like mid 50's or some shit. You're like Trey's age. You ain't some slob with a giant gut, you're a man who enjoys a ribeye and a stogie and just lived through a shit ton of hospital fuckery. I just managed to drop like 100 lbs in under 18 months.

There is a pretty solid chance, with like today's fancy doctors, we're both going to live to like 150.

So stop it with you're silliness. But it's probably not a bad idea if be both live on like lettuce and egg whites and 1 piece of bread a day for awhile...but we don't have to admit it to anyone.

Anyone asks I eat 12 eggs every morning, 2 roast chickens for lunch and a ham hock (not even sure what that is but it sounds funny) for dinner each night.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotchandcigar

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
So this feels like it should be it's own post about the last post...

FUCK! ANOTHER EDIT: In the second paragraph I said "me" and had to edit it to "I"..."older than I right?' because I know how to write English and it hurts my ego when I see those mistakes. I know I say "kinda" and shit (shit, I also curse a lot) like that but those aren't mistakes, they are purposefully me taking shortcuts to be lazy. If you all see me making blatant non purposeful errors please point them out. I like to write a bit for journal purposes (journals are ladies work) but I like documenting my somewhat uneventful life and I like doing it in such a way w/o glaring mistakes in my English. Dude, if I die tomorrow and someone reads all my bullshit I at least want them to know I was able to string a few sentences together in proper English.

Dude, this is starting a rabbit hole: I had to edit my mistakes out of my edit post. I think we have multiple timelines now.

Last edited:

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
My brother and I go check out restaurants in New Orleans sometimes. He's a vegetarian so he'll order something like Quinoa salad with a side of beans. Meanwhile I'll order a porterhouse or a roasted pork shank.

How from the same parents are our culinary tastes so different.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
My brother and I go check out restaurants in New Orleans sometimes. He's a vegetarian so he'll order something like Quinoa salad with a side of beans. Meanwhile I'll order a porterhouse or a roasted pork shank.

How from the same parents are our culinary tastes so different.
I think I've told this story once, but here it goes again. We did our last cruise about 7 years ago. In the old days, you picked from 2 or 3 dinner seating times, and had an assigned table - the same one each night. So you'd have to socialize with the same couples for a week, and you'd know which server to tip at the end. Well for this cruise, it was optional; the other option was random seating on a different level. We chose the traditional thing. We got 2 couples from South America (who spoke little English), and a weird, young American couple.

He was an ultra-marathon runner, and she was a vegan. I tried to make small-talk about our daughter who hikes, and the guy balked at that. "Well, I don't do anything less than 100 miles, so it doesn't compare". Yeah, F U. Anyway, in the 3 years they had been together, she had been a strict vegan. And sure enough, she was a major pain in the ass, constantly asker the server a million questions, and holding up the whole service.

But on the last night, she ordered the rack of lamb! I don't know why, but they wanted to celebrate the cruise by eating this big, disgusting meat on a giant bone. And she was having a hard time eating it. It was just bizarre.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
There is a pretty solid chance, with like today's fancy doctors, we're both going to live to like 150.
No. As I mentioned, my surgeon was the same guy who opened up Dave Letterman, so he's one of the best. Yet the level of disease in my arteries makes it nearly impossible to graft or bypass or stent anything. There's an inevitability to my existence.

I like documenting my somewhat uneventful life and I like doing it in such a way w/o glaring mistakes in my English. Dude, if I die tomorrow and someone reads all my bullshit I at least want them to know I was able to string a few sentences together in proper English.
That's admirable, most people don't give a shit. People are constantly saying "myself" when it should be "me". Because it sounds snootier, but it's wrong.

Reactions: HecticArt

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I am now 4 pounds fuller of cheese, meat and fries. And I feel a bit like a man.

Living life!

Reactions: Aaron

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
No. As I mentioned, my surgeon was the same guy who opened up Dave Letterman, so he's one of the best. Yet the level of disease in my arteries makes it nearly impossible to graft or bypass or stent anything. There's an inevitability to my existence.

That's admirable, most people don't give a shit. People are constantly saying "myself" when it should be "me". Because it sounds snootier, but it's wrong.
18kmofbwz60z.png

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
so another 5 guys order in the books. prolly gonna slam mouthfuls of fries into my face and it will be gross. plus a delicious burger.

worth it.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
twix are gross. snickers or milky way are way better chocolate.

statements of facts.

original hersheys w alomnds are the best candy after skittles. i can make time for tootsie rolls too.

tell me im wrong...i will fight u.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
you guys know what a piggy is? its when you waste a bunch of coke by pouring it ur hand then pounding it. u do it at concerts and stuff. not at home. more like punk concerts...not my normal hippie shit. like rancid.

these days i do piggies with french fries. its a lot less expensive.

Last edited:

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I try to get 100% my fruit intake from Pop Tarts so if they are misleading me about the actual strawberry content of the sugar-paste filling I will riot!

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I try to get 100% my fruit intake from Pop Tarts so if they are misleading me about the actual strawberry content of the sugar-paste filling I will riot!

That's one of the more ridiculous things I've seen. If you planned on getting your daily serving of fruit that way, you'd die from diabetes and obesity first.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Similar to red #40 and corn syrup being called "strawberries", my son's school calls pizza a serving of vegetable. Not only is tomato technically a fruit, but it's a nightshade (which can cause some people problems). But beyond that, I'm pretty sure cheap pizza sauce is mostly corn syrup and flavoring anyway. Drives me nuts.

• Wow
Reactions: scotchandcigar