I know what I'm having for lunch

That's healthy and all,
Maybe.
and probably good for your overall diet
If nothing else, I lost about 30 pounds when I quit going out to lunch for a burger and fries or whatever every day.
but for the 35 or so years I worked on-site, I always took a lunch break; usually with a group of friends
I used to, and that's probably healthier (getting out and about away from my desk) but I also don't feel like I need a nap by 2:00.
Occasionally, we have leftover bacon from weekend brunch. Lunch usually includes a kosher pickle and some chips.
Does the kosher pickle make up for the bacon?
 
Does the kosher pickle make up for the bacon?
On the rare occasion we have leftover bacon from a brunch, and I add that to my turkey sandwich, I tend to skip the pickle, so I'm not doubling-up on the sodium. More often, I get a half-avocado from the Mrs.' avocado toast from breakfast, and that kind of neutralizes the salt situation. The turkey itself is the oven roasted breast, so it's not like the processed stuff.

Why are people from Florida called "Floridians" and not "Floridans"? I wants ta know!
Although many F1 drivers live in Monaco, the only one born there is Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc. He's referred to as a Monégasque. I have no idea how they came up with that.
 
The principality of Monaco was originally called Munegu and the inhabitants were known as Munegascu. They spoke a language derived from Genoese Ligurian. France annexed Monaco in 1793 and French became Monaco's official language in 1814. "Munegu" became "Monaco" and "Munegascu" became "Monégasque." The Monégasque lanuage is spoken by around 20% of the population of Monaco, often as a second language and, since 1976, has been a compulsory class in schools. More information is here:


So Monaco was originally Munegu – but Florida was never Floridia. I is still confused. We now return you to your regularly scheduled lunch discussion.
 
That's healthy and all, and probably good for your overall diet, but for the 35 or so years I worked on-site, I always took a lunch break; usually with a group of friends. And it tended to be closer to an hour (hour-and-a-half in the early days), because we'd combine lunch with a walk.


Yes. Working from home, we have to plan for lunches, so it's part of the groceries. We get sliced turkey from the deli, and I make a wrap or sandwich, usually with provolone, lettuce, and banana peppers or half an avocado from Mrs. Scotch's breakfast. Occasionally, we have leftover bacon from weekend brunch. Lunch usually includes a kosher pickle and some chips. Sometimes, in the summer, we have leftover sides like potato/pasta salad, and I have that with the sandwich. And we might also get genoa salami to go with the turkey.

If we had salmon for dinner the night before, I'll have that on a salad instead of the sandwich. The same goes for any leftovers we have an abundance of. My breakfast is usually yogurt with granola, or hot/cold cereal with fruit. Occasionally, Mrs. Scotch makes a hot breakfast. And around Passover, we have a lot of fried matzoh (like scrambled eggs).

Sometimes in the summer, I'll take a wrap to the beach. And on the weekends, it's whatever fits our schedule.

How do you hold on to half an avocado?
Doesn’t it get unappealing looking when it goes unused after slicing it?
 
How do you hold on to half an avocado?
Doesn’t it get unappealing looking when it goes unused after slicing it?
She cuts it at like 10 am, and then wraps it and puts it in the crisper. I grab it at noon, and it’s ok if the pit is still in. If I don't use it, then it's trash. That's why she makes an announcement "there's half an avocado in the fridge".

A couple of small brown spots form, which I cut around. It's still more than I can get into the sandwich.
 
On the rare occasion we have leftover bacon from a brunch, and I add that to my turkey sandwich, I tend to skip the pickle, so I'm not doubling-up on the sodium. More often, I get a half-avocado from the Mrs.' avocado toast from breakfast, and that kind of neutralizes the salt situation. The turkey itself is the oven roasted breast, so it's not like the processed stuff.
I was referring to the whole Jewish/bacon imperative.

But sure, the sodium thing has its implications too.
 
I see. But having a turkey sandwich with cheese nixes the kosher thing anyway, so then the bacon is moot, as they say.
I knew about the meat & cheese thing, but didn't slow down enough to notice that turkey is still meat. I thought that it was more about dairy and beef together. That's what I get for being a heathen.

At least I'll have a good meal before I get to hell.
 
I knew about the meat & cheese thing, but didn't slow down enough to notice that turkey is still meat. I thought that it was more about dairy and beef together.
Yes, it's totally understandable to not understand it. This is what is said about it.

The rabbis established a protective fence around the law ("gezeirah") to classify poultry as meat. They did this to prevent people from accidentally confusing poultry with red meat and eventually eating mammalian meat with dairy.

So it's kind of a "slippery slope" logic, because of how similarly poultry and beef are prepared. But fish (which is also the meat from a living animal) is not considered meat. So go ahead and enjoy your bagel with lox and cream cheese.
 
Yes, it's totally understandable to not understand it. This is what is said about it.

The rabbis established a protective fence around the law ("gezeirah") to classify poultry as meat. They did this to prevent people from accidentally confusing poultry with red meat and eventually eating mammalian meat with dairy.

So it's kind of a "slippery slope" logic, because of how similarly poultry and beef are prepared. But fish (which is also the meat from a living animal) is not considered meat. So go ahead and enjoy your bagel with lox and cream cheese.
All this talk of dietary rules makes me really want a bacon cheeseburger. I think that one dish should break about every rule.
 
Back
Top Bottom