IdRatherBeSkiing's Top 424 as of 2020/08/30

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I've never actually watched Keith Moon drum before. I always thought since he was dead he was older. He wasn't.
This is incomprehensible to me as a fellow rock & roll fan. Here, watch these

The Who – Heaven and Hell (live, Isle of Wight festival 1970)

The Who – Water (live, Isle of Wight festival 1970)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
This is incomprehensible to me as a fellow rock & roll fan. Here, watch these

The Who – Heaven and Hell (live, Isle of Wight festival 1970)

The Who – Water (live, Isle of Wight festival 1970)

I was a teenager. I really didn't get into music until about 1978 and I just listened. When he died I was 17 or 18 I think. I pretty much thought all the rockers were old. They were at least 30. I plead guilty to being a ignorant teenager. Although I think the word ignorant is redundant when applied to teenager.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
This is one of those songs (like Safety Dance) that is a brilliant example of a pop hit, and I do enjoy it. However, at the time, watching this inane, prehistoric song rocket to #1 was a sure sign of the downfall of society.
Appearantly the downward hill is quite long. We've been falling for 40 years.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I was a teenager. I really didn't get into music until about 1978 and I just listened. When he died I was 17 or 18 I think. I pretty much thought all the rockers were old. They were at least 30. I plead guilty to being a ignorant teenager. Although I think the word ignorant is redundant when applied to teenager.
I had a similar experience growing up. I did see Tommy in a movie theater, but by the time I was old enough to see them live, they were on a hiatus. Seeing the Woodstock documentary was my my first exposure to The Who live.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I am only going by the markers on the youtube video. Always possible the movie was/is fake.
Wiki mentions a real movie but said it doesn't really have anything to do with the video. :idk:
The movie must not have been very great.
356. My Sharona - The Knack
Hard not to move when you hear this one. Very catchy beat. It's funny listening to 1979 countdowns with this song in it and hear Kasey comparing them to the Beatles and projecting their career.
One of those songs you want to hate because it was so overplayed, but it's just good, so it's OK to enjoy.
355. Don't You Want Me - The Human League
Hard to believe the original version of this song had only 1 singer. Works much better with 2.
Hard to picture not being a duet.
Good songwriting.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
353. Do You Believe In Love - Huey Lewis & The News
I believe this song has not been covered or improved by Ray Parker Jr. but it is still a great song.

352. Dream Police - Cheap Trick
Another rock song from winter of 1980.

351. Mad About You - Belinda Carlisle
A cool little pop song.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
350. Come Dancing - The Kinks
Sad song once you realize why he wrote it.

349. Flashdance ... What a Feeling - Irene Cara
Cool song. Never saw the movie. Wasn't into welding.

348. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
I mentioned it was coming up when it was discussed in other theads. Here it is. I still have no idea what it is about. But I really like the melody. Watching the video, it is so close to "Weird Al" Yankovic's Smells Like Nirvana. And yes, this is grunge.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
347. The Surrey with the Fringe on Top - From Oklahoma
I know I said I said I didn't get into music until 1978. But as a little kid I did have a little record player and a set of 45s. I can't tell you much about the contents of them other than a couple. I am sure I didn't go to a record store and pick them. However, a few are certainly imprinted on my brain. #347 is one of them. Another is coming up on the 424. This song was primarily forgotten about until I saw a local production of Oklahoma at my neighbourhood theatre with my family. That brought back the memories. I found out it was available on iTunes and here it is on my 424.

346. Wild Thing - Ton-Loc
He has 2 songs which are good. This is the better of the 2. The other one of course is the date rape song which would likely not be released today. I think that one will be in my **** list eventually.

345. Jane - Jefferson Starship
This was the group name at the time of this song. This came out in late 1979 at the time I was dating a girl name Jane.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
:clap:
You win the internet today IRBS! :celebrate5:
Not because you listened to and still like a song like Surrey, but because you have the man-balls to admit it to guys that you know aren't afraid to bust your chops about it.

Impressive.

I know there are a few of those songs from my youth that I still like, but at them moment can't think of any besides maybe the Supercalifragilistic thing.

Jane is a great song. We used to play it back in the 80's.