Songs from Chicago

"Introduction" is probably one of Chicago's best non-singles.

Here is a bonus track from Chicago Transit Authority. "Listen" Lead by Robert Lamm. I would listen to this song like crazy in high school along with "South California Purples"


Great song. Awesome bass line from Peter Cetera. That was going to be my pick for the week. Now I'll have to find another one.
 
We may have been listening to it at the same time during our high school years
Well, possibly. But my brother introduced me to the first 2 Chicago albums in 1970 or 71, so I became obsessed with them when I was like 9. And Chicago III came about a year later. By high school, I was buying my own albums from Steely Dan, Boston, Billy Joel, Kansas, Doobie Brothers, and Steve Miller Band.

Anyway, for my non-single of the week, I'm picking the light and hopeful side 4 final track from Chicago II. It follows the epic, 4 movement protest jam "It Better End Soon", which takes up most of side 4. This is a Peter Cetera composition and vocal.

Chicago - Where Do We Go from Here?​

 
I was buying my own albums from Steely Dan, Boston, Billy Joel, Kansas, Doobie Brothers, and Steve Miller Band.
That was a nice one!

As far as albums, I had some Boston too. And Billy Joel (The Stranger and 52nd Street), a Kansas and Steve Miller Band (inducted with Chicago into the R&R Hall of Fame same year). I liked Steely Dan but do not think I had any albums. I also had Supertramp "Breakfast in America", Styx "Grand illusion" and Aerosmith "Toys In The Attic". I was Cross Country but the Football team liked to play the Aerosmith album in the locker room and I would tag along. I also had a narrative album "The Point" by Nilson I would play a lot.

But Chicago was my favorite and the only one I still follow.
 
While Chicago 3 and Chicago 4 are new to me, I have taken a liking to "Happy 'Cause I'm Going Home" It has a nice autumn feel to it. I think I would like to play it driving down the country road in late September. Reminds me of a Swing Out Sister song "Caipirinha" This is my Chicago non-single for the week

Chicago 3


Chicago 4 Live at Carnegie Hall
 
My favorite Chicago Non-Hit this week is a Hit. "A Hit by Vare'se" from the Chicago V album. Sung by Robert Lamm.
The Chicago V album included singles "Saturday in the Park" and "Dialogue Parts I & II" I use to play it so much I wore out the needle.



Bonus Track: Peter Cetera and his group with "Dialogue"

 
I'll offer a two-fer from Chicago II. The opening track is a bit like "Introduction" from the 1st album. It features a variety of instrumentals.

Chicago - Movin' In​




Later in the album set, they offer this uncharacteristically fun and upbeat salsa tune (after a serious intro), which may have gotten some airplay

Chicago - Fancy Colours​

 
Before moving on to Chicago VI or VII, I have some more favorite Non singles from Chicago V. I would play the album so much I recorded it on a Memorex blank tape, Then I played that so much the tape broke

"All Is Well" sang by the group with solos by Robert Lamm


"Now That You've Gone" Sung by Terry Kath. The lead in song to "Dialouge" on the album
 
I think I'm running out of non-single songs to post. While there may be 1 or 2 I missed from the first 3 albums, we've both hit them to the point where I don't know what's left. So then there's the 4th album, Chicago at Carnegie Hall. But that's just a live album, no new songs.

Chicago 5 through 8 I never bought, and only know from the hits. Chicago IX is greatest hits. I have Chicago X, but don't remember if I bought it back in the day, or got it from someone. The only other album I bought was 16, because of "Hard to Say I'm Sorry/Get Away". So here it is, performed by Leonid & Friends

 
My non-single song this week is from Chicago VI with Hits "Feelin Stronger Every Day" "Just You n Me"

This song was Chicago's experiment with country to draw out more country music fans. I think they toured with Anne Murray around this time.
Peter Cetera is the lead vocal on this one
"In Terms of Two"


Plus another Chicago VI bonus of "Hollywood" in Keys only. Fun to sing along
 
Good For Nothing, written by Robert Lamm, David Foster and Richard Marx, featured lead vocals by Robert Lamm and harmony vocals by Peter Cetera and was the last song Cetera recorded with Chicago before going solo. It was recorded during the 1984 sessions for Chicago 17 but was not included on the album. The song appeared on the 1985 We Are The World charity album and on Chicago's 2003 five-CD box set The Box.

 
1974 was when Chicago had its ABC country western special "Meanwhile Back at the Ranch" from the Colorado ranch with Charile Rich and Anne Murray. They were doing lots of Dick Clark specials at the time
 
For my Chicago Non-Single of the week. From Chicago VII recorded at the Caribou Ranch in Colorado with hit singles:
"I've Been Searching So Long" "Wishing You Were Here" "Call on Me"

My pick is "Song of the Evergreens" With a rare Lead Vocal from Trumpet Lee Loughnane


And the Bonus Video: alternate version of "Hollywood" crazy neighborhood
 
From American Songwriter

In June of 1970, Chicago scored their first Top 5 single, with “25 Or 6 To 4”. The song, written by the band’s own Robert Lamm, is part of Chicago’s eponymous debut album.

Surprisingly, lead singer Peter Cetera had to sing this song with his jaw wired shut after an unfortunate altercation at a baseball game. Cetera was reportedly at a game where his Chicago Cubs beat the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium. He was celebrating the Cubs’ win when he got into a fight with four Marines, who apparently didn’t like the way he was celebrating. Cetera was injured in the argument, with his jaw being broken in three places.

The result was that his jaw was wired shut for three months, during which time, Chicago wanted to record “25 Or 6 To 4”.“He had to learn to sing differently,” producer James Guercio tells Mix Online. “I told him, ‘I can’t wait, we’re gonna do this.’” Not only did Cetera nail his performance of “25 Or 6 To 4”, but it began a new style of singing for him, with his teeth clenched.
 
Back
Top Bottom