The Random Post Thread

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Anyone here ever solve a Rubik's Cube?

It's looks near impossible to me, but people on YouTube make it look so easy. They got like toddlers solving them in 2 minutes.

(Question from 1982 minus the youtube part)
I once solved it. It involved removing and replacing some of the stickers.

I have only ever solved it on one side without that method. They say once you have the algorithms it is easy. Whomever they is.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
"I'll hunt in the mountains of Zomba-ma-Tant with helpers who all wear their eyes at a slant." In 1950, that was a line in a Dr. Seuss book that sounded just fine – but people now say the line offends so the book's publication has come to an end.....along with five others.

Reactions: semipenguin

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
"I'll hunt in the mountains of Zomba-ma-Tant with helpers who all wear their eyes at a slant." In 1950, that was a line in a Dr. Seuss book that sounded just fine – but people now say the line offends so the book's publication has come to an end.....along with five others.

Not sure why they don't just do a small revision to remove the offending language and art.

Reactions: sadchild

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Anyone here ever solve a Rubik's Cube?
I worked on it when I was about 11 or 12. One time I got it to 3 colors solved and was very excited. A few days later, a friend of mine picked it up randomly and said, "Cool a Rubik's Cube" and proceeded to randomly shuffle it around out of curiosity. And that was the day I gave up.

My son learned how to do it in the 6th grade. He can do it in less than 3 minutes with a 'speed cube'. He can also solve the 4x4 and 5x5, the triangle shaped one, and a few of the other weird-looking ones.

"It has to do with algorithms." Aaaaaaaand that's where my knowledge how to solve one ends.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I worked on it when I was about 11 or 12. One time I got it to 3 colors solved and was very excited. A few days later, a friend of mine picked it up randomly and said, "Cool a Rubik's Cube" and proceeded to randomly shuffle it around out of curiosity. And that was the day I gave up.

My son learned how to do it in the 6th grade. He can do it in less than 3 minutes with a 'speed cube'. He can also solve the 4x4 and 5x5, the triangle shaped one, and a few of the other weird-looking ones.

"It has to do with algorithms." Aaaaaaaand that's where my knowledge how to solve one ends.
Yeah, there's a method (algorithm) of getting any color square to the desired position. It's a series of twists and rotates. I never got that much into it, but I saw kids do it.

Reactions: sadchild

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland

This is one of those times where conservatives wet themselves with joy over political correctness run amok. Yet the characterizations of Jews, blacks, and Asians in those books is clearly offensive to the world we live in today. I'm not sure how best to handle it.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The triangle ones were pretty easy, but it still took me a long time to solve them.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
This is one of those times where conservatives wet themselves with joy over political correctness run amok. Yet the characterizations of Jews, blacks, and Asians in those books is clearly offensive to the world we live in today. I'm not sure how best to handle it.
Unfortunately, they probably picked the best option. Changing them without the good Dr. doing it, would be worse. If they left them on the market, eventually people would raise enough of a stink that all of the Seuss books would end up no longer being published.

I kind of get why people don't like the stereotypes that were in those books, but I get worried about how this can lead to book banning and the larger issues about censorship.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think a second edition would have been a better way to handle with small changes to the art or wording as appropriate. They could have even done it quietly without the press release but then they wouldn't be getting the perceived reward for being a good corporate citizen.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Fun Saturday fact: Did you know Duracell also has a pink bunny mascot? And they were actually first, before Energizer, to have it. They let the copyright run out at one point and Energizer made an ad mocking them with the pink bunny we all know showing how it lasted longer than Duracell's pink bunny. Lawsuits ensued and as of now Energizer can use their pink bunny in North America and Duracell can use theirs everywhere else.

1615058210272.png

1615058184563.png

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I have no idea who that is and I'm guessing my life is better that way. She does look like she spent the better part of 2011-2020 not wearing a bra though.
I'm not sure who it is either, but she looks like Phoebe Cates from Fast Times, but the 2011 picture would have had to have been from around 1980 if it was her.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I'm not sure who it is either, but she looks like Phoebe Cates from Fast Times, but the 2011 picture would have had to have been from around 1980 if it was her.
My guess is that syrian actress who does the cell phone commercials (Sprint?). She also appeared on This Is Us. For some reason, she's a popular target for photoshoppers.